OUTING-NEWS-L Archives

outing-news-l

OUTING-NEWS-L@LISTSERV.WILLIAMS.EDU

From:
Amy Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amy Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2011 12:48:44 -0400
OUTING CLUB EVENTS 10/12 – 10/16

ANNOUNCEMENTS

-The equipment room is open from 12:30-1:30PM on Monday-Thursday, and 12-2PM on Friday. Visit us in Paresky basement to check out gear with your WOC membership card.  if you are not yet a member, you can purchase a membership ($10 for students) in the equipment room.

-See below for a letter about the Tar Sands Action Movement!
WEDNESDAY

-Weekly WOC meeting; 7PM in Schapiro Hall 141, all members are welcome!  Contact Sara at sjd1 or Grace at ggm1 to learn more.

-Open climbing at the Nate Lowe wall in the Field House! 8:00-10:00PM

THURSDAY

-Open climbing at the Nate Lowe wall in the Field House! 8:00-10:00PM

-Come hear one of the best US skiers of all time, Olympic Nordic skier and World Cup medalist Andy Newell speak at 8 p.m. at the Log!

FRIDAY

-Sunrise Hike up Pine Cobble!  Meet at Chapin Steps at 6AM, we will return to campus by 8:45AM.

-Open climbing at the Nate Lowe wall in the Field House! 8:00-10:00PM

SATURDAY

-Sunset Hike; Please meet with extra layers, water bottles, and a headlamp at 5:00 on Paresky steps.  We'll head up to Pine Cobble for the sunset.  Plan to be back on campus by 7:30 at the latest!  Contact Grace at ggm1 with more questions :)

SUNDAY

-Fly casting lesson; email Michael at mbl4 or Noah at nlw4 for more details.

Dear Outdoor Enthusiasts,

This past Friday we were lucky enough to have a beautiful day to celebrate Mountain Day and the Berkshires. However, we can no longer take our perfect fall days for granted due to the climate crisis that we now face. I am writing today with a wonderful opportunity for you to lend your voice in the defense of our beloved outdoor playground.

 I am part of a group of students organizing buses from Williams to Washington, D.C. on November 6 for a national protest to encourage President Obama to veto the Tar Sands Keystone XL Pipeline. This proposed pipeline would run from the Tar Sands of Alberta, Canada to oil refineries in Texas and make the extraction and burning of this large oil reserve much easier, leading to the release of unprecedented amounts of carbon dioxide in the air. On top of that, it would destroy the wilderness areas that it runs through and endanger the lives of the local people.

We are hoping to get as many Williams students as possible (so far, we have 140+!) to come to DC with us to participate in this exciting and important protest and to join thousands of Americans in encircling the White House, something that has never been done before.

Our buses will leave late on Saturday night (November 5), and return on Sunday night (November 6), so you won't have to miss any classes. This is a great opportunity to meet new people, have a lot of fun, and make a difference in the climate crisis that is our generation’s most pressing issue.

I hope that you strongly consider joining us in DC. Please email me, Holly, at [log in to unmask] with your unix and phone number if you want me to add you to the list (or have any general questions). Right now, we are desperately looking for funding to make the trip as cheap as possible, but there is a chance we will ask all participants to partially pay for the trip.

You can learn more about the tar sands issues and protest at: www.tarsandsaction.org, or watch this 2-minute video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaF5NfCjWHs

Thank you so much!

Holly Whitney
Operation Hug the White House
To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" or go to http://listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your [log in to unmask] style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.