OUTING-NEWS-L Archives

outing-news-l

OUTING-NEWS-L@LISTSERV.WILLIAMS.EDU

"Oliver, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 4 Apr 2024 16:29:27 -0400
WOC-ly OUTING CLUB CALENDAR

April 4 - April 7, 2024

WHAT. IS. THIS. WEATHER.

Spring blizzards aside, we've got a bunch of outings planned for this
weekend, including some eclipse viewing ambitions. Sign up now, and keep an
eye on your inbox for emails from the trip leaders as we adapt our plans to
whatever mother nature deals us between now and Monday.

------------------------------

Announcements

WOOLF Needs You!!

Maybe you missed it in January, or maybe you weren’t sure about your spring
plans, or maybe you are just super motivated by today's weather (editor's
note: this aged poorly...) to spend more time outdoors! Whatever your
reason, WOOLF is still looking for Spring Staff to help out with logistics
for WOOLF leader training in May. If you are interested in helping out and
can commit to all (or at least most of) May 19-24th, please email
[log in to unmask] to express your interest, and we will follow up.

------------------------------

Facility Schedules

The WOC Equipment Room - Level M Paresky

Mon - Thu 12:30 - 1:30 pm

Fri 12:00 - 2:00 pm

Bouldering Barn Staff/Faculty lunchtime hours are done for the year

Bouldering Barn Open Hours

Come visit the WOC Bouldering Facility located on Walden St. and Hoxsey.
Climbing shoes and chalk are provided. Bring a water bottle! There will
only be room for 10 climbers and 1 staff person in the space at one time.
Before walking to the Bouldering Barn click here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TMtESwb7dl0YrNcxJMynyM5tbV8bLknjo-1rlRKQbOw/edit?usp=sharing>
to check the (mostly) current number of users in the building.

Mon & Wed 7 - 9 pm

Tue & Thu 4 - 7 pm

F - Closed

Sa & Su 2 - 5 pm

------------------------------

Activities - (Click here for extra information - i.e. mileage, elevation,
etc.
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O-2w9LpiW2ICscMcsi7WFAC-3DVTkAwP41wcyJ9Qcfo/edit?usp=sharing>
)

Friday

[WAITLIST ONLY] Weekly Sunrise Hike

A “wake up” and down trek on Pine Cobble for a REAL sunrise!!  Meet on
Paresky steps (Baxter lawn side) at 5:55 AM for a dawn good sunrise hike -
(sunrise at 7:03 AM). This is a 3 mile round trip hike with one thousand
foot elevation gain to get your blood flowing and endorphins coursing
through your veins!! Dress for the chilly weather and wear good footwear
for a trail that will be icy,  wet, muddy and rocky! Bring a headlamp
(trail will be dark, filled water bottle and a cup for hot drinks. Return
to campus by 8:45AM. Please sign up here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17x-HAj3oXQ7a6U_lnOn0sA3ygrNEk_-WtGBPFi981J8/edit?usp=sharing>
or email [log in to unmask] with any questions!

Saturday

Mt. Berlin Welcome Back Hike

Hope everyone had a restful spring break and is ready to jump back into a
fun WOC hike! Meet on Paresky steps at 9:30am for a moderately challenging
3.5 hour, 5.4 mile out and back hike to the top of Mt. Berlin (1,263 ft of
elevation gain)! Wear hiking shoes, several layers, and make sure to bring
water and snacks to enjoy at the summit. Return to campus by 1:30 pm at the
latest. Please sign up on this form
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17x-HAj3oXQ7a6U_lnOn0sA3ygrNEk_-WtGBPFi981J8/edit?usp=sharing>
and email pmm3 with any questions!

GEOCACHING @ PINE COBBLE! Maybe see a crashed plane??

Bringing back geocaching yet again for a fun, adventurous outdoor scavenger
hunt! Geocaching is an outdoor recreational activity, in which participants
use a Global Positioning System receiver or mobile device and other
navigational techniques to hide and seek containers, called geocaches or
caches, at specific locations marked by coordinates all over the world.
Together we will drive to and hike up Pine Cobble via the Chestnut and
Class of ‘98 trails, picking up as many as EIGHT geocaches on the way!
There’s a glider crash up there to check out and geocache! Expect a
moderate hike that can be steep at times, with some potential off-the-trail
hiking or light bouldering to find geocaches – I haven’t found them either!
Who knows how long it could take??? Meet at Paresky steps at 1:30PM and
expect to be back before 6:00PM. Bring sturdy hiking shoes, a phone
(optional), and a water bottle. Sign up here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17x-HAj3oXQ7a6U_lnOn0sA3ygrNEk_-WtGBPFi981J8/edit?usp=sharing>
and email srd6 with any questions or concerns!

Sunday

The Great Backcountry Bake-Off!!!

Do you love to bake? Do you love to eat baked things? Do you love to do all
of that on a little camping stove?? Come learn how to make gourmet(ish)
food for your next outdoor adventure this Sunday from 1:30-3:30! Menu TBD,
but guaranteed to be delish. No previous outdoor cooking experience
required! A prize for star baker will be awarded. Meet at Paresky steps! Sign
up here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17x-HAj3oXQ7a6U_lnOn0sA3ygrNEk_-WtGBPFi981J8/edit?usp=sharing>
and email seb10 with any questions or concerns!

Monday

Off-Campus Total Eclipse Chasing!

Whether you are an avid astronomer or simply intrigued by the eclipse
coming Monday, join WOC on an adventure to the path of totality. We will be
leaving bright and early Monday morning—meeting at 3:30am to avoid traffic
and driving to the path of totality. This trip will most likely take the
entire day/evening due to predicted traffic after the eclipse. There are a
lot of unknowns for this trip, as there are tens of thousands of people
trying to get to the path of totality, so there are no guarantees that we
will find a good spot in the path of totality. But we can guarantee a fun
road trip and a day filled with games and good music. Seeing a total
eclipse is a once-in-a-lifetime experience and will not occur in the United
States again for a long time, so don’t miss this opportunity to see one of
the most incredible astronomical events that will happen in our lifetime!
There are a limited number of spots, so sign up here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17x-HAj3oXQ7a6U_lnOn0sA3ygrNEk_-WtGBPFi981J8/edit?usp=sharing>!
Please email [log in to unmask] with any questions.

On-Campus Eclipse Viewing

Gather with other students on Paresky lawn at 3pm for a community eclipse
celebration—with music and limited supplies of hot chocolate (bring a cup
or thermos). Reach out to Abby [log in to unmask] with any questions.

The Williams Outing Club (est. 1915)

------------------------------

Find us online at woc.williams.edu and @WOCstagram
<https://www.instagram.com/wocstagram/>!

Equipment Room: Paresky, Level M

WOC Office: 2nd Floor Paresky

------------------------------

To remove yourself from this list send an email to
[log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff
outing-news-l" OR go to listserv.williams.edu
<https://listserv.williams.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=OUTING-NEWS-L> and follow the
instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your unix (
[log in to unmask]) style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for
this address as well.

If you no longer have access to your Williams.edu email, to unsubscribe,
send a request to [log in to unmask], and be sure to include your Williams
email address in the body of the email.

--

Ben Oliver (he/him)

Director

413-597-2304

Williams Outing Club

Paresky Center, Room 218

Williamstown, MA 01267

woc.williams.edu

We respectfully acknowledge that Williams College stands on the ancestral
homelands of the Stockbridge-Munsee Mohicans, who are the indigenous
peoples of the region now called Williamstown. Following tremendous
hardship after being forced from their valued homelands, they continued as
a sovereign Tribal Nation in Wisconsin, which is where they reside today.
We pay honor and respect to their ancestors past and present as we commit
to building a more inclusive and equitable space for all.

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" or go to https://listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your [log in to unmask] style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.