OUTING-NEWS-L Archives

outing-news-l

OUTING-NEWS-L@LISTSERV.WILLIAMS.EDU

From:
Scott Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2019 06:45:29 -0400
WOC-ly OUTING CLUB CALENDAR 04/29- 05/05

Hello WOC family!  Come check out some of the awesome outdoors events we
have going on this week.   All events are open to WOC members. For more
information on how to join WOC, ask your trip leader or head on down to the
equipment room.

Announcements:

Overland is looking for superb candidates (21 and over) to lead the 4-week
Alaska Challenge trip for 9th - 12th graders (June 30 to July 26; training
June 10 to June 21). Because Overland leaders work in co-ed leader pairs,
Overland is accepting applications from men to fill this particular
position. Contact Overland Director, Jonathan Igoe (
[log in to unmask])or call 413-458-9672) for more information.
Reimbursement available for WFR and CPR (required) + salary, travel.

SEEKING TWO STUDENTS TO LEAD THE LOG LUNCH COOKING TEAM NEXT YEAR.  Do you
love to cook? Want to be part of a fun and hardworking team that takes over
The Log kitchen every Friday to make a local food veggie lunch for 100
people? If so, please consider applying to help lead the Log Lunch kitchen
team next year.  We are hiring 2 student directors; $13/hour.

If interested, complete application form below and contact Sofia Phay, a
current Log Lunch student director.

Log Lunch is sponsored by the Center for Environmental Studies. For more
information, contact Sarah [log in to unmask]

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSceKAA1Rzc4AW-rjENfYuh1Wao4Nf77FYx63DzdAqhYJIjxqw/viewform

*The Zilkha center* would like to invite you to join them for a series of
lunch discussions this Spring!  Come to one or both of them - we hope to
see you there! Please RSVP:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdu3MJUkUJZbjEYSE1uRiTUjBeFb67xNdJs7r0vefRgEQhFPQ/viewform

Healthy Building Materials Lunch - May 7: 12-1pm Griffin 3, lunch provided

Inspired by the design and construction of the Class of 1966 Environmental
Center and the Living Building Challenge, we have been working to
incorporate Healthy Materials into our approach to building.  Come hear
about this work with a special focus on Fort Bradshaw from Zilkha Center
student intern Jaya Alagar ‘22 and Director of the Zilkha Center, Amy
Johns.

Biophilic Design at Williams Lunch - May 8: 12-1pm Jenness Living Room,
lunch provided

After a number of Biophilic Design workshops this Spring, learn more about
why we are incorporating Biophilia into our design process and join a
discussion about what role Biophilic design can play in our campus’ built
environment.

Mountain Day T-Shirt Design Contest!!!!!!!!!!! Whether you’re seeking
eternal fame and glory, or you just love the mountains, here’s your chance
to shine! Submit your custom design (just the front) for this year’s
Mountain Day T-Shirt. Please drop them off at the WOC office (second floor
Paresky) OR email submissions to Aidan, [log in to unmask] by 11pm on
Friday, May 10th.

JOIN THE SPONTANEOUS OUTINGS CHAT!!!!!!!!

Have you ever felt like the day was so nice that you just had to be
outside? Do you want to know if any random or spontaneous adventures are
happening in the moment? Come and join the GroupMe chat:
https://groupme.com/join_group/49777669/oX67kG5V

WOC Equipment Room:   The Equipment Room is open M-Th 12:30 -1:30 and 12 -2
on Friday.  We have tons of gear to borrow! WOC memberships may be
purchased as may Mt. Day or Bamboo T-shirts. Email

PBC bikes for loan at WOC Equipment Room:  There are bikes for 24 hour or
weekend loan through the Equipment Room.  Bring your WOC membership card.

Climbing:

The Nate Lowe climbing wall will be open!!! 8-10 pm Monday -Thursday.
Thursday nights from 8-9 are reserved for people who don’t identify as
cis-gender male.  All climbers are welcome from 9-10.

WOC activities:

Thursday:

Bring the Cheese to the People!! This rare WOC offering will go to Cricket
Creek Farm Thursday morning to volunteer with cheese wrapping at the small,
inspiring dairy operation. We will likely be gone in the window of 9 to
noon, but exact time and details are subject to change, so to join you must
RSVP to [log in to unmask] It should be blast with Rachel and Gavin, and
you may be sent home with a small stash of artisanal cheeses for your
labors!

Friday:

Weekly Sunrise(n) hike to the summit of Pine Cobble (sunrise at 5:45am) Meet
on Paresky steps at 6:00 AM.  Dress for the weather, trail will be possibly
wet!  Bring a headlamp, filled water bottle and a cup for hot drinks.
Return to campus by 8:30AM. Contact Annabelle at [log in to unmask] if you
have questions??

Sunset Stroll to Stone Hill Meet on Paresky steps at 7:20 PM. The sun will
set at 7:50 on Friday evening. Join us for a lovely stroll up Stone Hill to
catch the sunset and enjoy the beautiful purple hue that the mountains get
at sundown. Contact Alex at [log in to unmask] if you have any questions.

Saturday:

Spring Botany and Wildflower walk with Professor Joan Edwards, Hopkins
Forest, Saturday, May 4th 10:00-11:30.  Van from Paresky (Park Street) at
10:00AM. Contact Drew at [log in to unmask] if you have any questions.

Hike to Berlin Summit! Join for a hike to nearby Taconic Crest Trail,
leaving from Paresky Steps at 1:00pm. 4 miles total to get some great views
of the surrounding area.  Drive time is about 10 minutes each way, so
expect to be back no later than 4:30pm.  Email Danny ([log in to unmask])
with any questions! **Weather Dependant**

Overnight Trip to Hopkins Forest! Join us for a leisurely night off campus
in the WOC Cabin! We’ll leave mid-afternoon on Saturday and return early on
Sunday morning. This is a great opportunity to spend some time exploring
while still having access to creature comforts. Please contact Charlotte at
[log in to unmask] by Thursday to sign up or with any questions!

Bike to Brunch at Five Corners! Join us for a beautiful (and mostly flat)
bike ride to the Five Corners, then reward yourself with a sandwich or
pastry! We will meet behind Paresky at 9:30 am and return to campus around
noon. The ride will be 10 miles round trip at a leisurely pace. Email
[log in to unmask] for more details or to get help finding a bike. Don’t
forget to bring a helmet!

Sunday:

Gunks Climbing Trip:  Join us for a beautiful climbing trip to the
Peterskill area of the Shawangunks to get sendy!  The trip will leave
campus at 7am on Sunday morning so we can get into the park and return by
6pm.  There will be an opportunity to get burritos and visit the Rock and
Snow gear shop in New Paltz.  Contact Annabelle at [log in to unmask] with
any questions or to sign up!

Make your own nature journal! Head full of poetic musings about the
sublime, but no super cool journal to complement your rustic aesthetic?
Look no further! Join us for donuts and bagels this Sunday, 5/5, at 10:30am in
the Zilkha Center for journal making and good conversation. All materials
will be provided, all you have to bring is your overflowing creative energy
and/or an empty stomach. Contact Thomas ([log in to unmask]) for more info!

Local Plant Dyes! Did you know that the first synthetic dye was created in
1856? Before that all of our ancestors (and still many people today) use
roots, leaves, bark, stones, insects, and mushrooms to make color for art
and clothes. If you are interested in looking for flowers, bugs, and bark
in Hopkins Forest at 11:00AM, email Crystal ([log in to unmask]) for more
information!

WOC Din!! The WOC Din Committee is cooking again on Sunday! Join us in Dodd
Kitchen (or on the lawn) at 7 pm. Our meal will be vegetarian, and we
invite anyone who is interested in cooking with us starting at 5:30.
Contact Charlotte at [log in to unmask] with any questions!

--

Scott Lewis
Director

Wk Ph# (413) 597 - 2317
Mobile  # (413) 884 - 5222
FAX     # (413) 597 - 4742

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" or go to http://listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your [log in to unmask] style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.