WOC-ly OUTING CLUB CALENDAR

February 9 - February 11, 2024

Carnival is coming… All events are open to the Williams College community.

Winter Starnival!

It may look and feel more like Dagobah than Hoth outside, but at least we’ve secured the top-secret plans to the Death Star

Schedule

Sign up for lunch

Winter Starnival: The Empire Strikes Back is approaching at warp speed. We need your meal swipes in order to make a barbeque cookout happen on Paresky quad. Sign up for lunch or donate a swipe here

Sign up for Learn to Ski

If you missed out on all of WOC's Winter Study ski classes, Winter Carnival will include one more chance to attend a learn to ski event this winter! Note: This is NOT a PE class.

These sessions (for new/first time skiers only) will take place on the afternoon of Friday 2/16 12:30-5:00 at Jiminy Peak and will include transportation by bus to Jiminy. Space is limited to 25 participants and is available first come, first served. There is a $30 fee for the lift ticket, rentals, and instruction. Financial assistance is available. Click on the application link for additional details.

If you are interested, please fill out this form, and we will get back to you early next week to confirm your spot.

Discounted ski passes during Winter Carnival

In addition to the Learn to Ski program, there will also be discounted Jiminy lift tickets for sale for Friday of Winter Carnival - $30 full mountain pass w/o rentals, and $40 full mountain pass with rentals. These will be for sale at Jiminy during Winter Carnival - you do not need to sign up, and financial assistance is not available for these passes.

Announcements

Apply to join WOC Board!

Excited about getting the Williams community outside? Interested in leading trips, running community programming, and planning events like Mountain Day and Winter Carnival? Are you a first-year, sophomore, or junior? Did you really like playing with dirt as a kid? Then WOC Board might be the place for you! We're a dedicated group of individuals whose mission is to get people outside. We organize introductory programming on campus, community dinners, lead trips of all kinds, from ice climbing to canoeing, Mountain Day, Winter Carnival, and much, much more! We are continuously working to be more inclusive and help groups not traditionally represented in the outdoors get involved-- this work ranges from making sure basic gear is available in WOC's Equipment Room to providing financial aid for students learning to ski for the first time. We'd love for you to apply-- no prior experience in the outdoors is necessary! Applications are DUE BY FEBRUARY 16TH AT 11:59 PM; this is a hard deadline. We will be scheduling short interviews with all applicants February 19th-27th. APPLICATION HERE

A peer recommendation is a part of your application. Please ensure your recommender turns in THIS FORM by February 16th at 11:59 pm. Again, this is a hard deadline.

Check out our Instagram (@wocstagram), the WOC'ly emails, or come by to an open board meeting (February 5th at 7:30 pm in the Zilka Center) if you want to learn more about who we are and what we do. We are super excited to hear from you and to get to know you better. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to Claire McDonald (cem13), Sam Magid (sm39), Charlie Halverson (cch3), or Sam Drescher (srd6).

Interested in becoming an Instructor Monitor at the WOC Bouldering Barn?

There will be a training for anyone interested on February 19 from 4:15 - 5 PM.  The training will be brief but mandatory.  In addition to the training session, all new IMs are required to work at the Barn with an experienced IM for two sessions and pass a practical examination before being hired and co-leading their own session. If you have any questions regarding this application contact Dave Ackerson at [log in to unmask]

Facility Schedules

The WOC Equipment Room - Level M Paresky

12:30 - 1:30 M - Th, 12  - 2 Friday

Bouldering Barn Staff/Faculty lunchtime hours

Thursday 11:30 - 1:30

Bouldering Barn Open Hours

Come visit the WOC Bouldering Facility located on Walden St. and Hoxsey.  Climbing shoes and chalk are provided. Bring a water bottle! There will only be room for 10 climbers and 1 staff person in the space at one time.  Before walking to the Bouldering Barn click here to check the (mostly) current number of users in the building.

Mon & Wed 7 - 9pm

Tue & Thu 4 - 7 (Thursday 4-5:30pm are non-cis-male hours)

Fri 2:00 - 4 pm

Sat & Sun 2 - 5 pm

Activities - (Click here for extra information - i.e. mileage, elevation, etc.)

Saturday:

ONE SPOT REMAINING - Van to Prospect Mountain (Equipment Room, 10:00am - Weather dependent) Come in the van to cross-country ski at Prospect Mountain! This event is weather dependent, so please check your email in case Prospect is closed. Note that this is not lessons or a class, only transportation. Please wear layers, gloves, and bring a hat. Weather may be warm for xc skiing, so make sure your layers are removable! We’ll meet in the equipment room at 10:00am to get gear (skis, warm layers, etc.) and will be back by 1:30pm. Prospect has a $10 day-use fee. Sign up here and email Li ([log in to unmask]) with any questions!

JOIN THE WAITING LIST - New Moon Hike along Caves Trail! Come enjoy the dark moonless night with a fun hike along the Caves Trail (2.4 mile loop with about 150 ft elevation gain). Meet on Resky steps at 6:30 pm. Return to campus around 8:30 pm. Sign up on this form. It may be cold and/or wet, so if you need any gear/apparel, or if you have any questions, email Abby Kinney ([log in to unmask]).

The Williams Outing Club (est. 1915)

Find us online at woc.williams.edu and @WOCstagram!

Equipment Room: Paresky, Level M

WOC Office: 2nd Floor Paresky

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" OR go to listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your unix ([log in to unmask]) style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.

If you no longer have access to your Williams.edu email, to unsubscribe, send a request to [log in to unmask], and be sure to include your Williams email address in the body of the email.

--

Ben Oliver (he/him)

Director

413-597-2304

Williams Outing Club

Paresky Center, Room 218

Williamstown, MA 01267

woc.williams.edu

We respectfully acknowledge that Williams College stands on the ancestral homelands of the Stockbridge-Munsee Mohicans, who are the indigenous peoples of the region now called Williamstown. Following tremendous hardship after being forced from their valued homelands, they continued as a sovereign Tribal Nation in Wisconsin, which is where they reside today. We pay honor and respect to their ancestors past and present as we commit to building a more inclusive and equitable space for all.

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" or go to https://listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your [log in to unmask] style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.