WOC-ly OUTING CLUB CALENDAR

February 5- February 11, 2024

Is it winter? Is it spring? Does it even matter??? Choose your season and
sign up for skiing, hiking, kayaking in the pool, etc. But most
importantly, get ready for Winter Starnival! All events are open to the
Williams College community.

------------------------------

Announcements

Space left in Telemark Ski PE Class (Thursdays 1-4pm)

Are you an alpine skier looking to spice up your skiing? Are you an
aspiring backcountry skier who wants to learn how to telemark turn and
start exploring the woods for untracked powder? Do you need a PE credit and
you missed signups?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, you should consider signing
up for the telemark skiing PE class being offered Thursdays 1-4pm, starting
THIS week. If you are interested, please email [log in to unmask] BY TUESDAY
AT NOON with your name, class year, and student ID #. Please also include
your shoe size, height, and previous skiing experience. There is a course
fee of $135 to cover lift tickets at Jiminy, and all equipment is provided
free from WOC. Financial assistance available to any who qualify. Previous
alpine skiing experience is highly recommended for this class.

Get ready for Winter Carnival 2024!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Winter Starnival: The Empire Strikes Back is approaching at warp speed.
Luckily, the Rebel Alliance has secured some top-secret plans to the Death
Star <https://youtu.be/Ej4BOLhgITU>.

<https://youtu.be/Ej4BOLhgITU>

Apply to join WOC Board! <https://forms.gle/AUregXrvzDegQs6e6>

Excited about getting the Williams community outside? Interested in leading
trips, running community programming, and planning events like Mountain Day
and Winter Carnival? Are you a first-year, sophomore, or junior? Did you
really like playing with dirt as a kid? Then WOC Board might be the place
for you! We're a dedicated group of individuals whose mission is to get
people outside. We organize introductory programming on campus, community
dinners, lead trips of all kinds, from ice climbing to canoeing, Mountain
Day, Winter Carnival, and much, much more! We are continuously working to
be more inclusive and help groups not traditionally represented in the
outdoors get involved-- this work ranges from making sure basic gear is
available in WOC's Equipment Room to providing financial aid for students
learning to ski for the first time. We'd love for you to apply-- no prior
experience in the outdoors is necessary! Applications are DUE BY FEBRUARY
16TH AT 11:59 PM; this is a hard deadline. We will be scheduling short
interviews with all applicants February 19th-27th. APPLICATION HERE
<https://forms.gle/AUregXrvzDegQs6e6>

A peer recommendation is a part of your application. Please ensure your
recommender turns in THIS FORM
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1F6iFLNHlYwZOoAIArJty63oIZihBFV4bEDn6z_69xNM/edit?ts=65bade91>
by February 16th at 11:59 pm. Again, this is a hard deadline.

Check out our Instagram (@wocstagram), the WOC'ly emails, or come by to an
open board meeting (February 5th at 7:30 pm in the Zilka Center) if you
want to learn more about who we are and what we do. We are super excited to
hear from you and to get to know you better. If you have any questions,
please feel free to reach out to Claire McDonald (cem13), Sam Magid (sm39),
Charlie Halverson (cch3), or Sam Drescher (srd6).

------------------------------

Facility Schedules

The WOC Equipment Room - Level M Paresky

12:30 - 1:30 M - Th, 12  - 2 Friday

Bouldering Barn Staff/Faculty lunchtime hours

Thursday 11:30 - 1:30

Bouldering Barn Open Hours

Come visit the WOC Bouldering Facility located on Walden St. and Hoxsey.
Climbing shoes and chalk are provided. Bring a water bottle! There will
only be room for 10 climbers and 1 staff person in the space at one time.
Before walking to the Bouldering Barn click here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TMtESwb7dl0YrNcxJMynyM5tbV8bLknjo-1rlRKQbOw/edit?usp=sharing>
to check the (mostly) current number of users in the building.

Mon & Wed 7 - 9pm

Tue & Thu 4 - 7 (Thursday 4-5:30pm are non-cis-male hours)

Fri 2:00 - 4 pm

Sat & Sun 2 - 5 pm

------------------------------

Activities - (Click here for extra information - i.e. mileage, elevation,
etc.
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O-2w9LpiW2ICscMcsi7WFAC-3DVTkAwP41wcyJ9Qcfo/edit?usp=sharing>
)

Thursday:

Sunset walk on the Taconic Crest - so nice to see the sun this week! Join
us as we catch a beautiful sunset over the purple valley. We’ll drive up to
Petersburg Pass and walk a little over a mile to a beautiful view point.
We’ll meet at 3:45 pm at the equipment room to grab headlamps, warm
clothing, and good footwear! Expect to be back by 6 pm. Email
[log in to unmask] with any questions and sign up here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17x-HAj3oXQ7a6U_lnOn0sA3ygrNEk_-WtGBPFi981J8/edit?usp=sharing>
!

Learn to roll a whitewater kayak - you’ve already got the flipping over
part - but how to get it back up right - that’s the trick!!  Come to the
college pool, 7:30 PM with a bathing suit and we’ll start the learning!!
Questions - email [log in to unmask] (no sign up required)

Friday:

Weekly Sunrise Hike – a “wake up” and down trek on Pine Cobble.  Meet on
Paresky steps (Baxter lawn side) at 5:55 AM for a dawn good sunrise hike -
(sunrise at 6:58 AM). This is a 3 mile round trip hike with one thousand
foot elevation gain to get your blood flowing and endorphins coursing
through your veins!! Dress for the chilly weather and wear good footwear
for a trail that will be icy,  wet, muddy and rocky! Bring a filled water
bottle, headlamp/flashlight - it will be dark!! and a cup for hot drinks.
Return to campus by 8:45AM. Please sign up here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17x-HAj3oXQ7a6U_lnOn0sA3ygrNEk_-WtGBPFi981J8/edit?usp=sharing>
or email [log in to unmask] with any questions!

Saturday:

Van to Prospect Mountain (Equipment Room, 10:00am - Weather dependent) – Come
in the van to cross-country ski at Prospect Mountain! This event is weather
dependent, so please check your email in case Prospect is closed. Note that
this is not lessons or a class, only transportation. Please wear layers,
gloves, and bring a hat. Weather may be warm for xc skiing, so make sure
your layers are removable! We’ll meet in the equipment room at 10:00am to
get gear (skis, warm layers, etc.) and will be back by 1:30pm. Prospect has
a $10 day-use fee. Sign up here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17x-HAj3oXQ7a6U_lnOn0sA3ygrNEk_-WtGBPFi981J8/edit#gid=2051602858>
and email Li ([log in to unmask]) with any questions!

New Moon Hike along Caves Trail! Come enjoy the dark moonless night with a
fun hike along the Caves Trail (2.4 mile loop with about 150 ft elevation
gain). Meet on Resky steps at 6:30 pm. Return to campus around 8:30 pm.
Sign up on this form
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17x-HAj3oXQ7a6U_lnOn0sA3ygrNEk_-WtGBPFi981J8/edit?usp=sharing>.
It may be cold and/or wet, so if you need any gear/apparel, or if you have
any questions, email Abby Kinney ([log in to unmask]).

The Williams Outing Club (est. 1915)

------------------------------

Find us online at woc.williams.edu and @WOCstagram
<https://www.instagram.com/wocstagram/>!

Equipment Room: Paresky, Level M

WOC Office: 2nd Floor Paresky

------------------------------

To remove yourself from this list send an email to
[log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff
outing-news-l" OR go to listserv.williams.edu
<https://listserv.williams.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=OUTING-NEWS-L> and follow the
instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your unix (
[log in to unmask]) style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for
this address as well.

If you no longer have access to your Williams.edu email, to unsubscribe,
send a request to [log in to unmask], and be sure to include your Williams
email address in the body of the email.

--

Ben Oliver (he/him)

Director

413-597-2304

Williams Outing Club

Paresky Center, Room 218

Williamstown, MA 01267

woc.williams.edu

We respectfully acknowledge that Williams College stands on the ancestral
homelands of the Stockbridge-Munsee Mohicans, who are the indigenous
peoples of the region now called Williamstown. Following tremendous
hardship after being forced from their valued homelands, they continued as
a sovereign Tribal Nation in Wisconsin, which is where they reside today.
We pay honor and respect to their ancestors past and present as we commit
to building a more inclusive and equitable space for all.

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" or go to https://listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your [log in to unmask] style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.