WOC-ly OUTING CLUB CALENDAR

Dec. 4 - Dec. 10, 2023

Don't be discouraged by today's cold, wet weather - the rest of the week looks sunny, and it might hit 50 on Saturday 😎😎😎! All events are open to the Williams College community.

Announcements

Winter Study Announcements:

1) DEADLINE to apply for Winter Study PE Financial Assistance is approaching - Dec. 12th!!!

Limited financial aid is available for Winter Study PE, only to beginners wanting to learn to downhill ski, snowboard, or cross country ski. If you are interested, please read the program details, and then fill the application form by Dec. 12th to be eligible.

2) Winter Study PE Sign-ups - IN PERSON in Lasell Gymnasium on 1/3/24 6-8:30 pm

Winter study WOC PE sign-ups (and January ski pass sales see #3 below) will take place on Wednesday, January 3rd from 6:00-8:30 pm in Lasell Gymnasium. Students who want to take a downhill ski, snowboard, telemark ski, cross country ski, or snowshoe class can sign up, in person, at this time.

Learn to ski/snowboard passes for Jiminy Peak will be available at the discounted price of $135 this year (regular price would be ~$440-675), including 3-days of ski pass, rentals, instruction, and transportation to the mountain.

Cross country skiing trail fees will depend on conditions, but will be around $30 for the full 3-classes of instruction. All transportation, instruction, and equipment provided by WOC.

Snowshoeing has no fee.

3) Winter Study Non-PE Ski Pass Sales - Discounted Jiminy Peak ski passes

Discounted January passes for Jiminy will be available for purchase on Wednesday, January 3rd from 6:00-8:30 pm in Lasell Gymnasium (financial assistance not available). Only good for Monday - Friday 1:00 - 5:00 pm.

January 2024 Non-PE Rates

January Pass

$120.00

January Pass + Rentals

$235.00

3-Visit Pass

$79.00

3-Visit Pass + Rentals

$135.00

Hunting season has started in MA & NY.   As you consider your plans to get outside on hikes, etc. in the coming weeks, please be advised of the dates for deer hunting season in Massachusetts and New York.

MA: Nov. 27 - Dec. 9 (No hunting on Sundays in MA) HOPKINS MEMORIAL FOREST IS CLOSED during this time period!

NY: Nov. 18 - Dec. 10

Facility Schedules

The WOC Equipment Room

Will be open M – Th, 12:30 —1:30 PM, & F 12–2 pm - Level M Paresky

Bouldering Barn Staff/Faculty lunchtime hours

There will be Thursday 11:30 - 1:30 fac/staff Bouldering Barn hours this week.

Bouldering Barn Open Hours

Come visit the WOC Bouldering Facility located on Walden St. and Hoxsey.  Climbing shoes and chalk are provided. Bring a water bottle! There will only be room for 10 climbers and 1 staff person in the space at one time.  Before walking to the Bouldering Barn click here to check the (mostly) current number of users in the building.

Mon & Wed 7 - 9 pm

Tue & Thu 4 - 7 pm (Thursday 4-5:30pm are non-cis-male hours)

Fri 2 - 4 pm

Sat & Sun 2 - 5 pm

Activities - (Click here for extra information - i.e. mileage, elevation, etc.)

Friday:

Weekly sunrise hike (this will be a REAL witness to the sunrise!!) – a “wake up” and down trek on Pine Cobble

Meet on Paresky steps, Baxter lawn side) at 5:55 AM for a dawn good sunrise hike - (sunrise at 7:10AM). This is a 3 mile round trip hike with one thousand foot elevation gain to get your blood flowing and endorphins coursing through your veins!! Dress for the chilly weather and wear good footwear for a trail that will be wet, muddy and rocky! Bring a filled water bottle, headlamp/flashlight and a cup for hot drinks. Return to campus by 8:45AM. Please sign up here or email [log in to unmask] with any questions!

Saturday:

🪁 KITE FLYING ON KITE HILL – We (Sophie, Josh, Sam, and Sam) will be walking from campus, through the Stone Hill trail system, to Kite Hill (about 4 miles out and back). Never been there? It’s flat, and beautiful, and windy. Windy enough to fly a kite? We sure hope so! We’ll have at least one kite, we might have hot chocolate, and we’re guaranteed to have a lot of fun. We’ll leave at 9:30am from Paresky. Back by noon. Sign up here. Email [log in to unmask] with any questions!

(Williams students flying a kite on Kite Day in the 1960s)

Sunday:

Stone Hill Trail Running! - RUNNING. TRAILS. NATURE. FALL (KINDA). WINTER (KINDA). LEAVES. GOGO SQUEEZ. Now that we have your undivided attention, join Claire McDonald and Charlie Halverson on Sunday for a POSTPONED trail run to de-stress and revel in the lovely nature of Stone Hill :) We will be meeting and leaving from Paresky Steps @ 2:30PM!! Trail running shoes or running sneakers recommended! CANNOT WAIT TO SEE YOU THERE!!!!!! YAYAYAYAYYYY! Dress warmly/bring layers! We will all enjoy a yummy Gogo Squeez beforehand! Email [log in to unmask] with any questions; sign up here!

The Williams Outing Club (est. 1915)

Find us online at woc.williams.edu and @WOCstagram!

Equipment Room: Paresky, Level M

WOC Office: 2nd Floor Paresky

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" OR go to listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your unix ([log in to unmask]) style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.

If you no longer have access to your Williams.edu email, to unsubscribe, send a request to [log in to unmask], and be sure to include your Williams email address in the body of the email.

--

Ben Oliver (he/him)

Director

413-597-2304

Williams Outing Club

Paresky Center, Room 218

Williamstown, MA 01267

woc.williams.edu

We respectfully acknowledge that Williams College stands on the ancestral homelands of the Stockbridge-Munsee Mohicans, who are the indigenous peoples of the region now called Williamstown. Following tremendous hardship after being forced from their valued homelands, they continued as a sovereign Tribal Nation in Wisconsin, which is where they reside today. We pay honor and respect to their ancestors past and present as we commit to building a more inclusive and equitable space for all.

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" or go to https://listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your [log in to unmask] style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.