WOC-ly OUTING CLUB CALENDAR

Nov. 16 - Nov 19, 2023

Don't pass up the chance to be outside -- Today and tomorrow are amazing weather; not to be missed!! All events are open to the Williams College community.

Announcements

WOC J-TERM Winter PE -  Downhill ski, Snowboard, Telemark, Nordic ski, & Snowshoe Instructors wanted

Nordic & snowshoe instructors must be available to teach at least one day - Tu, Wed or Th from 12:45-4:15 pm. Downhill, snowboard, telemark instructors must be available to teach Mon, Tue, Wed, or Thu (preferably at least two of those days a week) from  12:45-5:00 pm. If interested, please pick up the instructor application posted outside the WOC office - Rm. 218, 2nd floor Paresky.

PE credit, pay, great resume builder, and fun sharing your talents are just a few reasons to apply!! Applications are due Nov. 21, 4:00 pm and must be returned to the WOC office by that time.

Hunting season starts soon

As you consider your plans to get outside on hikes, etc. in the coming weeks, please be advised that deer hunting season will commence soon in Massachusetts, Vermont, and New York.

VT: Nov. 11 – Nov. 26

NY: Nov. 18 - Dec. 10

MA: Nov. 27 - Dec. 9 (No hunting on Sundays in MA)

Facility Schedules

The WOC Equipment Room

Will be open M – Th, 12:30 —1:30 PM, & F 12–2 pm - Level M Paresky

Bouldering Barn Staff/Faculty lunchtime hours

Thursday 11:30 - 1:30  Climbing shoes, chalk, and instruction included.

Bouldering Barn Open Hours

Come visit the WOC Bouldering Facility located on Walden St. and Hoxsey.  Climbing shoes and chalk are provided. Bring a water bottle! There will only be room for 10 climbers and 1 staff person in the space at one time.  Before walking to the Bouldering Barn click here to check the (mostly) current number of users in the building.

M & W 7 pm - 9 pm,

T & Th 4 pm - 7 pm (Thursday 4-5:30pm are non-cis-male hours),

F 2 - 4 pm

Sa & Su 2 pm - 5 pm

Activities - (Click here for extra information - i.e. mileage, elevation, etc.)

Thursday:

Learn to roll a whitewater kayak

You’ve already got the flipping over part - but how to get it back up right - that’s the trick!!  Come to the college pool, 7:30 PM with a bathing suit and we’ll start the learning!!  Questions - email [log in to unmask] (no sign up required)

Friday:

Weekly sunrise hike – a “wake up” and down trek on Pine Cobble

Meet on Paresky steps, Baxter lawn side) at 5:55 AM for a dawn good sunrise hike - (sunrise at 6:46AM). This is a 3 mile round trip hike with one thousand foot elevation gain to get your blood flowing and endorphins coursing through your veins!! Dress for the chilly weather and wear good footwear for a trail that will be wet, muddy and rocky! Bring a filled water bottle, headlamp/flashlight and a cup for hot drinks. Return to campus by 8:45AM. Please sign up on this form or email [log in to unmask] with any questions!

Bouldering 101!

Come learn to climb in the WOC Bouldering Barn! We’ll meet in the Bouldering Barn (which can be located on the campus map) at 4pm and climb until 5:30pm. No experience required, and those who have never been to climbing open hours are strongly encouraged to come! Learn how to fall safely, read boulder problems, and climb with amazing technique. And most importantly, we’ll have a mountain of fun! Please wear comfortable clothes, and bring a full water bottle. Please sign up on this form and email Abby Kinney ([log in to unmask]).

Sunday:

Hikeceum!

All spots are filled for the event this week, but keep an eye out for future Hikeceums! We’re excited!

The Williams Outing Club (est. 1915)

Find us online at woc.williams.edu and @WOCstagram!

Equipment Room: Paresky, Level M

WOC Office: 2nd Floor Paresky

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" OR go to listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your unix ([log in to unmask]) style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.

If you no longer have access to your Williams.edu email, to unsubscribe, send a request to [log in to unmask], and be sure to include your Williams email address in the body of the email.

--

Ben Oliver (he/him)

Director

413-597-2304

Williams Outing Club

Paresky Center, Room 218

Williamstown, MA 01267

woc.williams.edu

We respectfully acknowledge that Williams College stands on the ancestral homelands of the Stockbridge-Munsee Mohicans, who are the indigenous peoples of the region now called Williamstown. Following tremendous hardship after being forced from their valued homelands, they continued as a sovereign Tribal Nation in Wisconsin, which is where they reside today. We pay honor and respect to their ancestors past and present as we commit to building a more inclusive and equitable space for all.

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" or go to https://listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your [log in to unmask] style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.