WOC-ly OUTING CLUB CALENDAR

Oct 12 - Oct 15, 2023

Starting to feel like 'spooky season' out there 👻 🎃👻🎃

All events are open to the Williams College community.

------------------------------

Announcements

*Weekly Friday sunrise hike TIME change due to possible Mountain Day bell
ringing - see Friday posting!!

IF tomorrow (October 13th) is Mountain Day:

WOC has been notified by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation &
Recreation (DCR) that the road to Stoney Ledge (Sperry Rd.) is currently
undergoing significant repairs and *will not be passable* by cars or hikers
tomorrow. SO...if the bells do ring out tomorrow morning, there will be a
*slightly* revised Mountain Day Schedule in terms of both the hikes and the
destination. If it is Mountain Day, it is imperative that everyone from the
Williams College community stays off of/away from Sperry Rd - there will be
large construction vehicles, etc. on that road all day. In that case, we've
prepared a fantastic slate of hikes and entertainment for that eventuality
- See these revised schedules (hike & entertainment) below, or on the WOC
Mountain Day website <https://woc.williams.edu/mountainday2023/>.

Hike Schedule for an October 13th Mountain Day
[image: Final-MTN-Day-Hike-Schedule.png]

Entertainment Schedule for an October 13th Mountain Day
[image: Final-MTN-Day-Entertainment-Schedule.png]

Mountain Day t-shirt on sale!

We will be selling this year’s Mountain Day t-shirt daily (except weekends)
starting 09/29 , in Paresky from 11:30-1:00. T-shirts until they’re ALL
sold -  cost $10 and cash or venmo is accepted. Profits will go to a
non-profit organization. T-shirts will only be sold before Mountain Day
(first possible Mountain Day is 10/6!), so get your shirts now! See the
shirt below featuring art by Zoe Gabriel on the front and Jiwoo Han on the
back.

------------------------------

Facility Schedules

The WOC Equipment Room

Will be open M – Th, 12:30 —1:30 PM, & F 12–2 pm (If it is Mt. Day, the
equipment room will be open 8:45-11:00) - Level M Paresky

Bouldering Barn Open Hours

Come visit the WOC Bouldering Facility located on Walden St. and Hoxsey.
Climbing shoes and chalk are provided. Bring a water bottle! There will
only be room for 10 climbers and 1 staff person in the space at one time.
Before walking to the Bouldering Barn click here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TMtESwb7dl0YrNcxJMynyM5tbV8bLknjo-1rlRKQbOw/edit?usp=sharing>
to check the (mostly) current number of users in the building.

M & W 7 pm - 9 pm,

T & Th 4 pm - 7 pm (Thursday 4-5:30pm are non-cis-male hours),

F 2 - 4 pm (If it is Mt. Day, we will cancel these hours)

NOTE: WE WILL NOT BE OPEN THIS SATURDAY.

Su 2 pm - 5 pm

------------------------------

Activities - (Click here for extra information - i.e. mileage, elevation,
etc.
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O-2w9LpiW2ICscMcsi7WFAC-3DVTkAwP41wcyJ9Qcfo/edit?usp=sharing>
)

Thursday:

New Moon Hike along Caves Trail! Prepare for the possibility of Mt. Day
with a dark moonless night and a fun hike along the Caves Trail (2.4 mile
loop with about 150 ft elevation gain, sadly no actual caves). Meet on
Resky steps at 6:00 pm. Return to campus around 8:00 pm. Sign up on this
form
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17x-HAj3oXQ7a6U_lnOn0sA3ygrNEk_-WtGBPFi981J8/edit?usp=sharing>.
It may be cold and/or wet, so if you need any gear/apparel, or if you have
any questions, email Abby Kinney ([log in to unmask]).

Friday:

IF it is not Mt. Day there will be a Weekly sunrise hike…..BUT will begin a
little later - 6:40AM and return at 9:30AM due to waiting for the
President’s announcement –Meet on Paresky steps, Baxter lawn side) at 6:40
AM for a dawn good sunrise hike - This is a 3 mile round trip hike with one
thousand foot elevation gain to get your blood flowing and endorphins
coursing through your veins!! Dress for the weather and wear good footwear
for a trail that will be wet, muddy and rocky! Bring a filled water bottle,
headlamp/flashlight and a cup for hot drinks. Return to campus by 9:30AM.
Please sign up on this form
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17x-HAj3oXQ7a6U_lnOn0sA3ygrNEk_-WtGBPFi981J8/edit?usp=sharing>
or email [log in to unmask] with any questions!

Saturday:

EPIC CORN MAZE ADVENTURE at Schuyler Farms!!! 11am-4pm

Want to get off campus and enjoy a classic fall activity? Tired of getting
lost in your readings and want to get lost in nature? Join WOC in
adventuring to Schuyler Farms to explore a 7-acre corn maze! We’ll meet on
Paresky steps at 11am and drive ~ 1 hour to our destination and arrive back
at Williams at 4pm. Please try to offer this opportunity for people who
otherwise would not have access to transportation, we appreciate you!
Lastly, if you’re interested in picking a pumpkin or buying other treats,
please bring cash! Sign up on this form
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/17x-HAj3oXQ7a6U_lnOn0sA3ygrNEk_-WtGBPFi981J8/edit>
and email [log in to unmask] with any questions!

The Williams Outing Club (est. 1915)

------------------------------

Find us online at woc.williams.edu and @WOCstagram
<https://www.instagram.com/wocstagram/>!

Equipment Room: Paresky, Level M

WOC Office: 2nd Floor Paresky

------------------------------

To remove yourself from this list send an email to
[log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff
outing-news-l" OR go to listserv.williams.edu
<https://listserv.williams.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=OUTING-NEWS-L> and follow the
instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your unix (
[log in to unmask]) style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for
this address as well.

Ben Oliver (he/him)

Director

413-597-2304

Williams Outing Club

Paresky Center, Room 218

Williamstown, MA 01267

woc.williams.edu

We respectfully acknowledge that Williams College stands on the ancestral
homelands of the Stockbridge-Munsee Mohicans, who are the indigenous
peoples of the region now called Williamstown. Following tremendous
hardship after being forced from their valued homelands, they continued as
a sovereign Tribal Nation in Wisconsin, which is where they reside today.
We pay honor and respect to their ancestors past and present as we commit
to building a more inclusive and equitable space for all.

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" or go to https://listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your [log in to unmask] style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.