WOC-ly OUTING CLUB CALENDAR

Oct 26 - Oct 29, 2023

Hope you are enjoying this early September weather in late October!! All events are open to the Williams College community.

Announcements

🍃 FALL 🍂 FOLIAGE 🍁 BACKPACKING!! Weekend of November 11

WOC is planning a low/medium length backpacking trip in two weekends! We will be going to Monroe State Forest, about 30 minutes east of Williamstown. Food will be backcountry gourmet (cinnamon rolls?? homemade ramen?? chip drink??). Yum! We are deciding between leaving Friday (Nov 10) or Saturday (Nov 11), in the early afternoon (around 12 or 1pm). The trip will be one SPECTACULAR night overnight, and will be back before noon the next day. You know what they say: what happens in Monroe State Forest… stays in Monroe State Forest. Anyways, we (Sam and Brianna) are stoked! Email [log in to unmask] if interested; and if so, let us know which day (Friday, Saturday, or either) works better. See you there!!

EPIC SUNRISE HIKE Friday - Nov. 3.  - 9 mile round trip trek to the “roof of Massachusetts”!!

This is our annual Fall epic sunrise, we leave campus at 4AM returning by 10AM (barring any emergencies!) Interested - please sign up on this  form  (scroll all the way to the right)  by Monday, Oct 30!! - spots are limited - questions?  Contact: [log in to unmask]!

HIKECEUM– Invite a professor/staff member on a leisurely hike and enjoy the outdoors together!

If you liked Doddceum or Lyceum, check out Hikeceum, WOC’s NEW version of outdoor bonding with a professor or staff member over a hike. This leisurely students and staff hike/walk will be held on Saturday November 11th from 1:00 - 2:30 PM on a beautiful Fall morning in Hopkins Memorial Forest. The sign-up form will be released on the WOC-ly calendar in the upcoming weeks…keep an eye out for it and in the meantime invite your favorite professor or staff member!!

Overland Summers Info Session - Wednesday, November 1st, 7pm

Overland Office (10 Walden St., 3rd Floor - right above Spoon & the bookstore)

Love the outdoors? Seeking an exciting, leadership-oriented summer opportunity? Overland hires college students and recent graduates to lead eight weeks of hiking, language, and service trips across the country and around the world.

Whether you're hiking in the Swiss Alps, restoring trails in Alaska, learning Spanish in the Pyrenees, or rock climbing in Maine, the job offers an opportunity to hone leadership skills, forge friendships, and engineer positive, formative experiences for young people.

Join us at our info session to learn more about leading for Overland. We'll explain the goals of the experience, the nuances of the trips we offer, the logistics of how it all happens, and answer any questions you have. We'll be in the Overland Office (10 Walden St.) from 7pm-8pm on Wednesday, November 1st. We hope you'll join us!

Facility Schedules

The WOC Equipment Room

Will be open M – Th, 12:30 —1:30 PM, & F 12–2 pm - Level M Paresky

Bouldering Barn Open Hours

Come visit the WOC Bouldering Facility located on Walden St. and Hoxsey. Climbing shoes and chalk are provided. Bring a water bottle! There will only be room for 10 climbers and 1 staff person in the space at one time.  Before walking to the Bouldering Barn click here to check the (mostly) current number of users in the building.

M & W 7 pm - 9 pm,

The Bouldering Barn will be closed for Halloween on 10/31

Th 4 pm - 7 pm (Thursday 4-5:30pm are non-cis-male hours),

F 2 - 4 pm

Sa & Su 2 pm - 5 pm

Activities - (Click here for extra information - i.e. mileage, elevation, etc.)

Thursday:

Slacklining!

Are you a pro at slacklining? Never tried before and want to learn how? Come join us as we slackline, listen to music, and hangout on campus! No experience necessary. Meet on the Resky steps at 1:30pm on Thursday 10/26. Sign up here and email [log in to unmask] with any questions.

Friday:

Want to see Peak Fall colors… Well.. come join WOC on our Weekly  sunrise hike – a “wake up” and down trek on Pine Cobble and take a “peek” at all the colors!!

Meet on Paresky steps, Baxter lawn side) at 5:55 AM for a dawn good sunrise hike - (sunrise at 7:20 AM). This is a 3 mile round trip hike with one thousand foot elevation gain to get your blood flowing and endorphins coursing through your veins!! Dress for the weather and wear good footwear for a trail that will be wet, muddy and rocky! Bring a filled water bottle, headlamp/flashlight - this is a REAL sunrise hike - wooded trail will be dark, and a cup for hot drinks. Return to campus by 8:45AM. Please sign up on this form or email [log in to unmask] with any questions!

WOW (Water of the Week)

WOW!!! What better way to celebrate the end of the week than a little swim in some beautiful refreshing local water? Lucky for you, Water of the Week is here. Join the water-loving Brianna and Innes on an excursion to the Cascades trail where we’ll hike, swim and hang for a bit before heading back to campus.  We’ve had to cancel the last few times because of rain, but this week the weather should be sunny! Meet behind Resky at 4:30 with something to swim in and a towel getting back no later than 6:15! ! Sign up on this form to be WOWed!!! Email [log in to unmask] with any questions :))

Sunday:

Family Weekend - Friends & Family Pine Cobble Hike

Bring your family and/or other guests for a WOC hike up and down the Pine Cobble. Sign up on this form, and then meet outside on the Paresky Center porch at 9:00am on Sunday morning. This is a 3.1 mile intermediate hike that climbs 1200’ to the summit of the Pine Cobble and then returns along the same trail. Total time will depend on the group, but we’ll be back for a late lunch at the absolute latest. Wear good hiking shoes and bring a water bottle. Snacks will be provided. Questions? Email [log in to unmask].

The Williams Outing Club (est. 1915)

Find us online at woc.williams.edu and @WOCstagram!

Equipment Room: Paresky, Level M

WOC Office: 2nd Floor Paresky

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" OR go to listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your unix ([log in to unmask]) style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.

If you no longer have access to your Williams.edu email, to unsubscribe, send a request to [log in to unmask], and be sure to include your Williams email address in the body of the email.

--

Ben Oliver (he/him)

Director

413-597-2304

Williams Outing Club

Paresky Center, Room 218

Williamstown, MA 01267

woc.williams.edu

We respectfully acknowledge that Williams College stands on the ancestral homelands of the Stockbridge-Munsee Mohicans, who are the indigenous peoples of the region now called Williamstown. Following tremendous hardship after being forced from their valued homelands, they continued as a sovereign Tribal Nation in Wisconsin, which is where they reside today. We pay honor and respect to their ancestors past and present as we commit to building a more inclusive and equitable space for all.

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" or go to https://listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your [log in to unmask] style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.