WOC-ly OUTING CLUB CALENDAR

Sep 25 - Oct 1, 2023

This week's WOC calendar brought to you by 'petrichor' - the smell after rain falls on dry earth. All events are open to the Williams College community.

Announcements

Mountain Day?? Coming on a beautiful day in October…..

Mountain Day Hike Leaders Wanted

Already psyched for Mountain Day? We are too, and we’re looking for excited folks to lead the hikes! You should have a current wilderness first aid cert, and need to attend a brief 45 minute hike leader meeting on Sunday, 10/01 at 7:30PM, Paresky Auditorium. Leaders must be available for each of the first three Fridays of October 6, 13, 20. You’ll get a Mountain Day leader tee shirt – and definite ‘resume builder’ in return! Please fill out this form and contact Ben Connor ([log in to unmask]) with any questions! Please sign-up by Wednesday, Sept 27th.

Sign up for the Accessibility Van for Mountain Day!

Mountain Day season is almost upon us! If you need accessible transport to either Stone Hill OR Stony Ledge (i.e. you would not otherwise be able to hike/walk to these locations but would still like to attend), please fill out this form to reserve a spot for the van to either or both locations. Space is limited. Vans will leave campus and drive directly to the festivities. Once on Stone Hill and Stony Ledge, there will be donuts, cider, scenic vistas, and various music performances. PLEASE NOTE: Spots in the van are limited so please be considerate of space and fill out this form ASAP if you need a spot. We cannot guarantee transport once the van is full.

Students are prohibited from driving personal vehicles to Stony Ledge as there is no parking area. Further information about accessibility can be found on the Office of Accessible Education website and questions can be sent to: [log in to unmask]. If you have any questions about transportation, please contact Jaquelin Nordhoff ([log in to unmask]).

Facility Schedules

The WOC Equipment Room

Will be open M – Th, 12:30 —1:30 PM, & F 12–2 pm - Level M Paresky

Bouldering Barn Open Hours

M & W 7 pm - 9 pm,

T & Th 4 pm - 7 pm (4-5:30pm are non-cis-male hours),

F 2 - 4 pm

Sa & Su 2 pm - 5 pm

Come visit the new WOC Bouldering Facility located on Walden St. and Hoxsey. Climbing shoes and chalk can be provided. Bring a water bottle! There will only be room for 10 climbers and 1 IM in the space at one time.  Before walking to the Bouldering Barn click here to check the (mostly) current number of users in the building.

Activities - (Click here for extra information - i.e. mileage, elevation, etc.)

Friday:

Weekly sunrise hike – a “wake up” and down trek on Pine Cobble

Meet on Paresky steps, Baxter lawn side) at 5:55 AM for a dawn good sunrise hike - (sunrise at 6:47 AM). This is a 3 mile round trip hike with one thousand foot elevation gain to get your blood flowing and endorphins coursing through your veins!! Dress for the weather and wear good footwear for a trail that will be wet, muddy and rocky! Bring a filled water bottle, headlamp/flashlight and a cup for hot drinks. Return to campus by 8:45AM. Please sign up on this form or email [log in to unmask] with any questions!

Cole Field Stargazing 8:30 - 9:30 pm!

Join us for a lovely FULL MOON stargazing sesh on the comfy cozy Cole Field on Friday evening! Bring all of your friends, a blanket or chair, and your best stargazing eyes for a fun little activity! We will meet on Paresky steps and walk down together! No sign up necessary. Email [log in to unmask] with any questions!

Saturday:

Beginner Top Roping in Little Falls: Saturday, 9/30, 9am - 5pm

Join us for an all-day climbing trip to Little Falls, NY! We’ll depart at 9 am from the WOC Equipment Room in Paresky and return by 5 pm at the latest. We’ll drive to Little Falls, have a short walk to the crag, and then spend a couple hours climbing! The trip is suitable for all ability levels. Wear comfortable and stretchy clothes and bring lunch food and a water bottle (or two) for the day. Climbing gear will be provided as needed on the morning of. Contact Ben (Bhc4) with any questions and sign up on this form to reserve your spot! You must sign up by Wednesday night to have a spot on this trip! Further, you must be 18 and send a picture of the front of your driver's license (or other valid proof of age) to [log in to unmask] - which we need in order to secure a climbing permit for Little Falls.

Intro to Mountain Day Beginner’s Hike! 1:00 - 3:00pm

Are you curious to explore the incredible nature surrounding Williams? Excited about Mountain Day coming up, but not completely comfortable with hiking yet? Join our fun and chill beginner day-hike to Kite Hill: an approximately 3.5 mile route that is mostly flat, has a gorgeous view, and some tasty treats included! Bring good walking/hiking shoes, a water bottle, and a cup for hot drinks. We will meet at 1:00PM on Paresky steps, and expect to return to campus around 3:00PM. Sign up with this form. Please email Monica [log in to unmask] with any questions. :)

Sunday:

Hopkins Forest Trail Running 5:00 - 6:00 pm!!!

RUNNING. TRAILS. NATURE. FALL. LEAVES. Now that we have your undivided attention, join Charlie Halverson and Claire McDonald for an amazing sunset evening trail run to de-stress and revel in the lovely nature of Hopkins Forest :) We will be meeting and leaving from Paresky Steps @ 5PM!! Trail running shoes or running sneakers recommended! CANNOT WAIT TO SEE YOU THERE!!!!!! YAYAYAYAYYYY! Sign up with this form. Email [log in to unmask] with any questions!

The Williams Outing Club (est. 1915)

Find us online at woc.williams.edu and @WOCstagram!

Equipment Room: Paresky, Level M

WOC Office: 2nd Floor Paresky

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" OR go to listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your unix ([log in to unmask]) style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.

--

Ben Oliver (he/him)

Director

413-597-2304

Williams Outing Club

Paresky Center, Room 218

Williamstown, MA 01267

woc.williams.edu

We respectfully acknowledge that Williams College stands on the ancestral homelands of the Stockbridge-Munsee Mohicans, who are the indigenous peoples of the region now called Williamstown. Following tremendous hardship after being forced from their valued homelands, they continued as a sovereign Tribal Nation in Wisconsin, which is where they reside today. We pay honor and respect to their ancestors past and present as we commit to building a more inclusive and equitable space for all.

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" or go to https://listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your [log in to unmask] style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.