WOC-end UPDATE

Jan. 12END - Jan. 15,  2023

Hello WOC family! Come check out some of the awesome outdoor events we have
going on this weekend. All events are open to the Williams College
community.

Announcements

*Overland Summer Jobs Application due 1/22/23*

Love the outdoors? Seeking an exciting, leadership-oriented summer
opportunity? Overland <https://overlandsummers.com/lead-us/> hires college
students and recent graduates to lead eight weeks of hiking, language, and
service trips across the country and around the world.

Whether you're backpacking in the Swiss Alps, restoring trails in Alaska,
learning French in Chamonix, or rock climbing in Maine, the mission is the
same: we offer carefully crafted and superbly led trips that catalyze in
students an understanding of the world beyond themselves, beyond their own
needs and wants, and inspire them to see how beautiful and exciting, how
full of promise the world is.

Join us at a virtual info session
<https://overlandsummers-dot-yamm-track.appspot.com/2fkaVqYGtOjWFlzH-gY4LO_3qCGHqtkA2e1M6fj_iVJbDRwCpgwGT2x6iLfIzL8jZxSg7kcH2rTwd9vwPwwwdXHvbDIAMW_m-0jSNLvuNw0wOs5KNgaRnvzXz5S6FwI48yNE7o3TZZ3QTNvkQtlPX7kO98evMyxM410mdEIq7wSxnc7Hz_EmYN9YSLZXfVwd9w9yNnSehbYFN>
to learn more about leading for Overland. We'll explain the goals of the
experience, the nuances of the trips we offer, the logistics of how it all
happens, and answer any questions you have.

Join the Spontaneous Outings GroupMe!

Have you ever felt like the day was so nice that you just had to be
outside? Do you want to know if any random or spontaneous adventures are
happening in the moment? Or do you want to get the most up to date info
about WOC and trips? Join the Spontaneous Outings GroupMe chat here!
<https://groupme.com/join_group/69168079/zIG1XRQf>

The WOC Equipment Room will be open M – F 11:30 am–2 pm.

We want your feedback on trips! Have you recently gone on a trip and want
to give us feedback on how things went? Fill out our feedback form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1wdj6xIiZWEmztVxsQn9l2Dz_fCPJRg8isSEy1eoccI0/edit>
after your trip so we know how we’re doing!

Activities

Click here for extra information (mileage, elevation gain, etc) about trips!
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O-2w9LpiW2ICscMcsi7WFAC-3DVTkAwP41wcyJ9Qcfo/edit?usp=sharing>

Thursday:

Climbing Wall open!  Non cis-male climbing from 9 - 10 pm!  From 10 -11
there will be open climbing at the Nate Lowe Climbing Wall. No experience
necessary.  All equipment provided.

Friday:

Weekly sunrise hike– a “wake up” and down trek on Pine Cobble.** Meet on
Paresky steps at 6:00 AM for a dawn good sunrise hike - (sunrise at 7:05
AM). This is a 3 mile round trip hike with one thousand foot elevation gain
to get your blood flowing and endorphins coursing through your veins!!
Dress for cold weather and wear good footwear for a trail that will be
muddy and rocky! Winter hats and gloves needed for warmth at the summit.
Bring a headlamp/flashlight,, a filled water bottle and a cup for hot
drinks. Return to campus by 8:45AM. Please sign up on this form
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gucPLYEiUA31VmCRteABDI4jTDcCXuSrUD4H6qowkDw/edit?usp=sharing>
or email da1 with any questions!

WOC Din! Come enjoy a delicious dinner with great company at 7pm in the
Dodd Kitchen! We will be serving pasta, brussel sprouts, and peas and
carrots. Sign up with this google form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdefHdsomJUPHd8EfXqLyZ1eK1L6sBA1zvyod1Yq_VrwZkVTA/viewform?usp=sf_link>
(limited to 50 people) and please contact Abby Kinney ([log in to unmask])
with any questions.

Sunday:

Get Warmed Up for Winter Carnival!

Cozy gorp making in Baxter! Meet in Baxter Hall in Paresky at 1:30pm for
some gorp (good ole raisins and peanuts) making. Make a snack for the rest
of your week, or just warm up inside and chat with some new friends. Reach
out to Abby ([log in to unmask]) with any questions.

The Williams Outing Club (est. 1915)

------------------------------

Find us online at woc.williams.edu and @WOCstagram
<https://www.instagram.com/wocstagram/>!

Equipment Room: Paresky, Level M

WOC Office: 2nd Floor Paresky

------------------------------

To remove yourself from this list send an email to
[log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff
outing-news-l" OR go to listserv.williams.edu
<https://listserv.williams.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=OUTING-NEWS-L> and follow the
instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your unix (
[log in to unmask]) style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for
this address as well.

WOC-ly OUTING CLUB CALENDAR

Jan. 9 - Jan. 15,  2023

Hello WOC family! Come check out some of the awesome outdoor events we have
going on this week. All events are open to the Williams College community.

Announcements

Do you have Dead Week plans?? Sign up for Adirondack Winter Sampler Trip! -
Come stay in the gorgeous Adirondacks during dead week (1/29-1/31) and
enjoy the winter woods while staying in a cozy (heated) cabin at night. Day
activities may include snowshoeing, sledding, snow fort building and nordic
skiing. We will have beginner and advanced activities and encourage people
of all levels of winter outdoor experience to come along! Price will be
around $15 and financial aid is available. Signup on this form
<https://forms.gle/uLneRRFxR2vUxiFj9> by Sunday, 1/15 if you are
interested! If over-enrolled, we will reach out to randomly selected
students by Tuesday. Email [log in to unmask] with any questions!

[...]

Monday:

Climbing Wall open!  There will be open climbing from 8 - 10 pm at the Nate
Lowe Climbing Wall in the Towne Field House.  No experience necessary.  All
equipment provided.

Tuesday:

Open WOC Board Meeting!

Come see some of the logistical workings of WOC! If you are interested in
what the Board does, are considering becoming a trip leader, or just want
to meet some more people who love the outdoors please join us at 7:15pm in
the Zilhka Center!

Climbing Wall open!  There will be open climbing from 9 -11 pm at the Nate
Lowe Climbing Wall in the Towne Field House.  No experience necessary.  All
equipment provided.

Winter Rock Climbing Bouldering Trip in Bromley Forest

We’ll be bringing crash pads out to a couple of different rocks in Bromley
Forest and climbing on them! No experience necessary! Meet at the WOC
equipment room at 9:30 AM to check equipment before loading up on a college
van for the drive to Bromley Forest. The drive will be about an hour each
way. Expect to return around 3 PM. Wear stretchy clothes and dress for the
weather — this means layers and especially gloves. It will be cold! Bring a
lunch, a full water bottle (or two), and climbing shoes if you have them!
If not, they can be borrowed from the equipment room! Sign up on this form
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gucPLYEiUA31VmCRteABDI4jTDcCXuSrUD4H6qowkDw/edit?usp=sharing>
and please contact Abby Kinney ([log in to unmask]) with any questions!

Wednesday:

[...]

Saturday:

--
David Ackerson
Asst. Director

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" or go to https://listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your [log in to unmask] style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.