A bit of a wet start - but the overcast really "pops" the fall colors.. it's so beautiFALL!!

We hope you get to enjoy this day as best you can - and truly take a 'TIME OUT' - give yourselves a rest from the grind and give your phones a rest too!!

Please read the pasted message below especially if you're planning on doing any hikes - be prepared for very wet, slick trails and a bit of chill up on Stony ledge if you head up there!

See you OUTSIDE!!  best,  scott

What is Mountain Day?

Mountain Day is when the College President cancels class so students, faculty, and staff have a chance to get outside! WOC plans events, both on campus and off, so that this is a bit simpler. The off-campus gatherings are on Stone Hill, behind the Clark, and Stony Ledge, a mountaintop clearing with a great view of Mt. Greylock. BUT more important - it’s just a “time out” from work and to enjoy the beauty of our surroundings and friendship of our community.

What is at Stony Ledge, and how do I get there?

·       Performances from a capella groups, the concert choir, and lots of cider and donuts!

·       Most people take one of four hikes, which are between 2-3 miles ascent

o   Buses leave from Mission Park Drive at 12:30 PM.  (early hike bus/slower pace leaves 12pm from Mission drive as well)

o   All are generally similar, so don’t worry too much about which bus to get on.

·       AND one longer 8 mile hike which goes over Mt. Greylock.

o   8 mile hike leaves at 10 AM from Paresky steps.

§  Bring 2 water bottles, grab and go lunch, and extra layers.

·       All of these hikes are physically demanding, just be prepared so you can enjoy it!

I want to stay on campus. What will be going on there?

·       All campus picnic on Paresky Lawn from 11:00 AM – 1 PM.

o   Includes dance and musical performances!

How can I hike safely and enjoyable? (Trails WILL be VERY wet, muddy, and slick.)

·       Wear decent hiking shoes, sneakers in good condition work!

·       Bring a water bottle AND extra layers – Stony ledge can be chilly!!

·       Take breaks! It’s not a race. When tired, stop and drink water. It will go faster this way.

·       Meet someone new! Don’t be worried about going alone, the day is about community.

·      IMPORTANT – DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRIVE TO STONY LEDGE OR GREYLOCK – PLEASE USE THE BUSES OR ONLY PARK AT TRAILHEADS – BY ORDER OF THE DCR.  Our mt. day permit depends on it!

Are these events required?

NO! Participation is totally optional in everything. Really. Do whatever you will enjoy the most. But whatever you do, take some time to stop and de-stress. The real point of the day is to take a break, slow down, and look up and around - make a new friend or two!!

--

Scott Lewis
Director

Wk Ph# (413) 597 - 2317
Mobile  # (413) 884 - 5222
FAX     # (413) 597 - 4742

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" or go to https://listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your [log in to unmask] style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.