A bit of a wet start - but the overcast really "pops" the fall colors..
it's so beautiFALL!!

We hope you get to enjoy this day as best you can - and truly take a 'TIME
OUT' - give yourselves a rest from the grind and give your phones a rest
too!!

Please read the pasted message below especially if you're planning on doing
any hikes - be prepared for very wet, slick trails and a bit of chill up on
Stony ledge if you head up there!

See you OUTSIDE!!  best,  scott

*What is Mountain Day?*

Mountain Day is when the College President cancels class so students,
faculty, and staff have a chance to get outside! WOC plans events, both on
campus and off, so that this is a bit simpler. The off-campus gatherings
are on Stone Hill, behind the Clark, and Stony Ledge, a mountaintop
clearing with a great view of Mt. Greylock. BUT more important - it’s just
a “time out” from work and to enjoy the beauty of our surroundings and
friendship of our community.

*What is at Stony Ledge, and how do I get there?*

·       Performances from a capella groups, the concert choir, and lots of
cider and donuts!

·       Most people take one of four hikes, which are between 2-3 miles
ascent

o   Buses leave from Mission Park Drive at* 12:30 PM*.  (early hike
bus/slower pace leaves 12pm from Mission drive as well)

o   All are generally similar, so don’t worry too much about which bus to
get on.

·       AND one longer 8 mile hike which goes over Mt. Greylock.

o   8 mile hike leaves at *10 AM* from Paresky steps.

§  *Bring 2 water bottles, grab and go lunch, and extra layers*.

·       All of these hikes are physically demanding, just be prepared so
you can enjoy it!

*I want to stay on campus. What will be going on there?*

·       All campus picnic on Paresky Lawn from *11:00 AM – 1 PM. *

o   Includes dance and musical performances!

*How can I hike safely and enjoyable? (Trails WILL be VERY wet, muddy, and
slick.)*

·       Wear decent hiking shoes, sneakers in good condition work!

·       Bring a water bottle AND extra layers – Stony ledge can be chilly!!

·       Take breaks! It’s not a race. When tired, stop and drink water. It
will go faster this way.

·       Meet someone new! Don’t be worried about going alone, the day is
about community.

·      *IMPORTANT – DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRIVE TO STONY LEDGE OR GREYLOCK –
PLEASE USE THE BUSES OR ONLY PARK AT TRAILHEADS – BY ORDER OF THE DCR.  Our
mt. day permit depends on it!*

*Are these events required?*

*NO! *Participation is totally optional in everything. Really. Do whatever
you will enjoy the most. But whatever you do, take some time to stop and
de-stress. The real point of the day is to take a break, slow down, and
look up and around - make a new friend or two!!

--

Scott Lewis
Director

Wk Ph# (413) 597 - 2317
Mobile  # (413) 884 - 5222
FAX     # (413) 597 - 4742

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" or go to https://listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your [log in to unmask] style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.