WOC-ly OUTING CLUB CALENDAR

February 7 - February 13, 2022

Hello WOC family! Come check out some of the awesome outdoor events we have going on this week. All events are open to the Williams College community.

Announcements

Winter Carnival is coming SOON! Feb 17th-19th!

If you haven’t already heard about the most anticipated event of the season by this point, what are you doing?! Winter Carnival, a three day wintery outdoors-focused extravaganza is going to be here before you know it. To hear more about the event, stop by Paresky on Feb 11-13 between 11am and 2pm where WOC will be tabling. There, you can pick up a free button and sticker, sign up for lunch/buses, AND see the Winter Carnival event calendar for the first time! See the sticker design (by Hannah Bae) below :)

Sign up for your lunch during Winter Carnival!

The main event of Winter Carnival will take place midday on Friday, February 18th at Mt. Prospect with cross country skiing, snowshoeing, sledding, snowballs, music, a grill, and more! Lunch will include a grilled feast of burgers, hot dogs, veggie burgers, chips, and more! In order to have enough food for everyone for lunch, we need YOUR help!!!!!!!!!

We need a student ID number for every student eating lunch at Prospect in order to get the correct amount of food from dining services. If you are considering going to Prospect for Winter Carnival on Friday, Feb 18th, please fill out this quick form. If you are not going but know you will have extra swipes that week, you can donate a swipe so we have food for those who forget/aren’t on the meal plan! (You do not need to fill out this form to go to Prospect, but we much prefer to have your ID number so we can get enough food!)

Davis Center Social Change Film Series At 7:30 pm at Images on Tuesday 2/15, the Davis Center, in collaboration with WOC, will be screening An American Ascent, a film about the first African-American expedition to climb Denali, North America’s highest peak. Following the film, there will be a talkback with Dragonsky, a queer Black woman who recently completed the AT and plans to become the second Black woman to acheive a triple crown (thru-hiking the AT, PCT, and CDT).

Davis Center Lunch and Learn Series From 12:30 pm to 1:30 pm in Jenness House Living Room on Wednesday 2/16, the Davis Center will be hosting a talk by Dragonsky about thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail in 2021.

Join the Spontaneous Outings GroupMe!

Have you ever felt like the day was so nice that you just had to be outside? Do you want to know if any random or spontaneous adventures are happening in the moment? Or do you want to get the most up to date info about WOC and trips? Join the Spontaneous Outings GroupMe chat here!

The WOC Equipment Room will be open by APPOINTMENT ONLY.                 Hours are M  - Th 12 - 1:30 PM &  F 12 - 2 pm. The Equipment Room is open to all WOC members.  Please go to this appointment schedule to sign up.

We want your feedback on trips! Have you recently gone on a trip and want to give us feedback on COVID-19 precautions and how things went? Fill out our feedback form after your trip so we know how we’re doing!

Activities

Click here for extra information (mileage, elevation gain, etc) about trips!

Thursday:

Climbing Wall open!  There will be open climbing from 8 -10 pm at the Nate Lowe Climbing Wall in the Towne Field House.  No experience necessary.  All equipment provided.  This is for WOC members only and memberships are available at the wall.  Please enter through the doors on the south (Weston Field) side and leave your shoes on the plastic tarp at the door.

Saturday:

The Spruces!

Have you ever seen those lion statues on Route 2 and thought “Hey, those are some cool cats”? Well then this leisurely walk is for you! Meet at Paresky at 10:00am. Return to campus by about 12pm. We will be walking along Route 2 which will entail cars, road noise, etc., but the Spruces area itself is quieter. Sign up on this form, and contact Abby Kinney ([log in to unmask]) if you have any questions.

Learn to Nordic ski! Ever wanted to learn how to cross country ski but didn’t have the chance to take the PE class? Maybe you’ve gone once but want to give it another try! Well, lucky you. We will meet at the equipment room in downstairs Paresky at 1:30 pm on Saturday before driving to Prospect Mountain. (There is a $10 fee for the mountain). Expect to return to campus by 5 pm at the latest. Please sign up on this form if you’re interested and contact Jaquelin ([log in to unmask]) if you have any questions!

Sunday:

Mt. Prospect Hike!

“It’s like pine cobble but better” -anonymous source close to Scott Lewis. Meet at Paresky at 10:00am and return to campus by 12:30pm. It's a 4 mile round trip hike with elevation gain similar to pine cobble!  Sign up on this form (and give your shoe size for microspikes), and contact Malcolm ([log in to unmask]) if you have any questions!

The Williams Outing Club (est. 1915)

Find us online at woc.williams.edu and @WOCstagram!

Equipment Room: Paresky, Level M

WOC Office: 2nd Floor Paresky

To remove yourself from this list send an email to listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there to remove yourself from: [log in to unmask]. Note you must enter your full email address to unsubscribe: [log in to unmask].

--

Scott Lewis
Director

Wk Ph# (413) 597 - 2317
Mobile  # (413) 884 - 5222
FAX     # (413) 597 - 4742

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" or go to http://listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your [log in to unmask] style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.