WOC-ly OUTING CLUB CALENDAR

February 21 - February 27, 2022

Hello WOC family! Come check out some of the awesome outdoor events we have going on this week. All events are open to the Williams College community.

Announcements

Apply to be on the WOC Board! First-years, sophomores, and juniors– deadline is Wednesday, February 23rd!

If you are interested in being a member of WOC board, see this link for more info and to apply. The application is only two questions and is due by next Wednesday, February 23rd. Interviews will take place between February 24th and February 28th. You do not need to have experience in the outdoors to be a member of WOC board. As a member of the board, you will organize programming,attend weekly meetings, and be a member of a community that cares about getting people outdoors. We are excited to hear about what you want to bring to the WOC community– please apply!

Williamstown Trail Steward Internship

WOC and Williamstown Rural Lands are offering two (2) paid seasonal Trail Steward positions to individuals interested in exploring careers related to the environment and outdoor recreation. One of the two positions is funded by the Robert Ikemori Quay '04 Outing Club Memorial Fellowship.

Trail Stewards will spend two months maintaining, building, and clearing trails in Williamstown's extensive trail network. They will also work on property improvement projects on some of WRL's nearly 1,000 acres of protected land.

Eight weeks

June 13 - August 5

Student on-campus housing is available for Williams College students.

For more information and to apply, click here:

https://forms.gle/Jc8Ngb5TpMc8HbLz7

Join the Spontaneous Outings GroupMe!

Have you ever felt like the day was so nice that you just had to be outside? Do you want to know if any random or spontaneous adventures are happening in the moment? Or do you want to get the most up to date info about WOC and trips? Join the Spontaneous Outings GroupMe chat here!

Climbing Wall Instructor Monitor training  Have you ever wanted to work at the climbing wall? Now’s your chance!  There will be a 2 part Instructor Monitor training on 3/1 & 8 from 6 - 8 pm.  You must attend both sessions.  Please fill out this application form.  Email [log in to unmask] with questions.

The WOC Equipment Room will be open by APPOINTMENT ONLY. Hours are M  - Th 12 - 1:30 PM &  F 12 - 2 pm. The Equipment Room is open to all WOC members.  Please go to this appointment schedule to sign up.

We want your feedback on trips! Have you recently gone on a trip and want to give us feedback on COVID-19 precautions and how things went? Fill out our feedback form after your trip so we know how we’re doing!

Activities

Click here for extra information (mileage, elevation gain, etc) about trips!

Monday:

Climbing Wall open!  There will be open climbing from 8 - 10 pm at the Nate Lowe Climbing Wall in the Towne Field House.  No experience necessary.  All equipment provided.  This is for WOC members only and memberships are available at the wall.  Please enter through the doors on the south (Weston Field) side and leave your shoes on the plastic tarp at the door.

Tuesday:

WOC Board Meet and Greet before apps are due! Please join us for snacks in the CES lobby at 6:45 pm on Tuesday to get to know the Board and have some of your questions answered before you submit your WOC Board application. We’ll conduct the first part of our weekly meeting with our visitors until about 7:30.

Climbing Wall open!  There will be open climbing from 8 - 10 pm at the Nate Lowe Climbing Wall in the Towne Field House.  No experience necessary.  All equipment provided.  This is for WOC members only and memberships are available at the wall.  Please enter through the doors on the south (Weston Field) side and leave your shoes on the plastic tarp at the door.

Wednesday:

Non cis-male climbing from 8 - 9 pm!  From 9 - 10 all WOC members are welcome and memberships are available at the wall.  No experience necessary.  All equipment provided.   Please enter through the doors on the south (Weston Field) side and leave your shoes on the plastic tarp at the door.

Thursday:

Climbing Wall open!  There will be open climbing from 8 -10 pm at the Nate Lowe Climbing Wall in the Towne Field House.  No experience necessary.  All equipment provided.  This is for WOC members only and memberships are available at the wall.  Please enter through the doors on the south (Weston Field) side and leave your shoes on the plastic tarp at the door.

Friday:

Weekly sunrise hike!!!!  This“wake up” and down Pine Cobble - sunrise at 6:34 AM. Meet on Paresky steps at 6:00 AM!!  This is a 3 mile hike round trip, one thousand foot elevation gain to get your blood flowing and endorphins coursing through your veins!!.   Dress for the weather -  winter hat/gloves needed for warmth at the summit, good footwear for a trail that will be SNOWY, muddy, wet and always rocky!  Bring a filled water bottle and a cup for hot drinks.  Return to campus by 8:30AM.  Please sign up on this form or email [log in to unmask] with any questions?

Saturday:

Kite Hill Hike

Take a leisurely hike from Stone Hill to the Kite Hill Trail. Sign up here. Meet in front of Paresky at 1:00 PM. Return to campus by around 4:30pm. It’s going to be cold, so if you need any gear/apparel, or if you have any questions, email Abby ([log in to unmask]).

Sunday:

Mount Prospect Hike

Kick off spring in style with a weekend hike up Mount Prospect! As some have said, “it's like pine cobble, but better.” This is an out and back hike with a great view at the top, and has about 1,300 ft of elevation gain and is about 4 miles total. Meet at Paresky at 10 AM and return to campus around 1 PM. Sign up here! Any questions? Reach out to Georgia at [log in to unmask].

The Williams Outing Club (est. 1915)

Find us online at woc.williams.edu and @WOCstagram!

Equipment Room: Paresky, Level M

WOC Office: 2nd Floor Paresky

To remove yourself from this list send an email to listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there to remove yourself from: [log in to unmask]. Note you must enter your full email address to unsubscribe: [log in to unmask].

--

Scott Lewis
Director

Wk Ph# (413) 597 - 2317
Mobile  # (413) 884 - 5222
FAX     # (413) 597 - 4742

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" or go to http://listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your [log in to unmask] style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.