WOC-ly OUTING CLUB CALENDAR

September 20 - September 26

Hello WOC family!  Come check out some of the awesome outdoor events we have going on this week. All events are open to the Williams College community.

Announcements

Mountain Day Hike Leaders Wanted: Already psyched for Mountain Day? We are too, and we’re looking for excited folks to lead the hikes! You should have a current wilderness first aid cert, and need to attend a brief 45  minute hike leader meeting on Sunday, 09/26 at 7:30PM, Paresky Auditorium.  Leaders must be available for each of the first three Fridays of October 1, 8, 15.  You’ll get a free Mountain Day leader tee shirt in return! Please fill out this form if you’re interested and contact Rachel (rm11) with any questions!

JOIN THE SPONTANEOUS OUTINGS CHAT!!!!!!!!

Have you ever felt like the day was so nice that you just had to be outside? Do you want to know if any random or spontaneous adventures are happening in the moment? Or do you want to get the most up to date info about WOC and trips? Join the Spontaneous Outings GroupMe chat here! (the link now works!!)

JEDI weekly lunch! Join us to talk about anti-racism and responding to accessibility issues in the outdoors on Tuesdays 12-1! We’ll meet on Chapin steps (or in Paresky depending on weather). Eat lunch with us or just stop by to say hi! Feel free to reach out to Isabel (isa2), Nick (nrh3), or Li (lyp1) with any questions or suggestions.

 The WOC Equipment Room will be open by appointment only.  Hours are 12:30-1:30pm (M-Th) and 12-2pm (Fri). The Equipment Room is open to all WOC members.  Please go to this appointment schedule and sign up for a slot.

 We want your feedback on trips! Have you recently gone on a trip and want to give us feedback on COVID-19 precautions and how things went? Fill out our feedback form after your trip so we know how we’re doing!

Activities

Click here for extra information (mileage, elevation gain, etc) about trips!

Monday

Not-so-polar Bear Swim!! Has academic life at Williams completely drained you? Are your eyes vacant and soulless? Try to recapture the feeling of being alive by jumping into a river! This is a perfect bucket list item and a great way to keep awake while finishing that problem set. Meet on Paresky Steps at 8:30pm on Monday night. Be sure to bring a towel, warm layers, and something to swim in! Feel free to email Aidan Lloyd-Tucker (al15) with any questions.

Climbing Wall open!  There will be open climbing from 7 - 9 pm at the Nate Lowe Climbing Wall in the Towne Field House.  No experience necessary.  All equipment provided.  This is for WOC members only and memberships are available at the wall.  Please enter through the doors on the south (Weston Field) side and leave your shoes on the plastic tarp at the door.

Tuesday

 Climbing Wall open!  There will be open climbing from 7 - 9 pm at the Nate Lowe Climbing Wall in the Towne Field House.  No experience necessary.  All equipment provided.  This is for WOC members only and memberships are available at the wall.  Please enter through the doors on the south (Weston Field) side and leave your shoes on the plastic tarp at the door.

Star Tipping! Do you love stargazing and also spinning around until you fall over? Come join Joanie and Malcolm for star tipping on Poker Flats at 8:30pm until no later than 9:15pm. We’ll be checking out the beautiful night skies and letting out our late-night stress by goofing off outside. If interested, sign up here and email [log in to unmask] with any questions. We’ll meet at Paresky steps at 8:30pm and bring a flashlight if you have one.

Wednesday

Hopkins Forest Hike (12:00pm - 3:00pm) - Join us for a fun hike to Hopkins Memorial Forest! We will be completing the figure-eight loop. Will most likely be rainy, so bring a raincoat and rain pants (if you want them) along with snacks and water. The WOC Equipment Room is open by appointment if you need any gear (hiking boots, rain pants, etc.). Sign up here and email Aaron ([log in to unmask]) with any questions or concerns!

Climbing Wall open!  There will be open climbing from 7 - 9 pm at the Nate Lowe Climbing Wall in the Towne Field House.  No experience necessary.  All equipment provided.  The hour from 7 - 8 is only for WOC members who do not identify as male and memberships are available at the wall.  Please enter through the doors on the south (Weston Field) side and leave your shoes on the plastic tarp at the door.

Thursday

Stony Ledge Hike up the Hopper! Come appreciate the early fall views from Stony Ledge on the majestic Mt. Greylock. We will be going up the Hopper trail and down the Hailey Farm Trail for around a 5 mile hike with 1500ft of elevation. We will be meeting at 1:30pm on Paresky Steps and be back at 4:30pm. Since a van is required, we have limited capacity so please sign up on this form. Email Aidan Lloyd-Tucker (al15) with any questions, concerns, or any equipment needed ahead of time.

Climbing Wall open!  There will be open climbing from 7 - 9 pm at the Nate Lowe Climbing Wall in the Towne Field House.  No experience necessary.  All equipment provided.  Please enter through the doors on the south (Weston Field) side and leave your shoes on the plastic tarp at the door.

 Tie Dye! Come join Malcolm and Joanie to tie dye your bland clothing into something funky fresh! We’ll be meeting at Paresky steps at 11:30am on Thursday and start promptly so please try to show up on time! Bring your own white or light colored cotton clothing and a smile :) If interested, sign up here and email [log in to unmask] with any questions.

 Friday

Weekly sunrise hike  “wake up” and down Pine Cobble - sunrise at 6:42 AM. Meet on Paresky steps at 6 AM!!  3 mile hike round trip, one thousand foot elevation gain to get your blood flowing and endorphins coursing through your veins!!.   Dress for the weather, good footwear for a trail that will be muddy, wet and always rocky!  Bring a filled water bottle and a cup for hot drinks.  Return to campus by 8:30AM.  Please sign up on this form  or email [log in to unmask]  with any questions?

Stargazing on Stone Hill (8:00pm-9:00pm ish)! Meet at Paresky steps at 8:00pm for a short walk to Stone Hill for some stargazing! Stay as long or as little as you like. Bring a blanket, snacks, and a hot drink (hot cocoa packets in the dining halls!). Please sign up on this form so you can get an email in case of bad weather. Feel free to contact Li ([log in to unmask]) with any questions!

Saturday

Hike Cascades Trail to Waterfall

Take a leisurely hike to a beautiful waterfall! Depending on water levels might be slightly muddy/wet. Meeting in front of Paresky at 9:45am. Sign up on this form (van space is unfortunately limited), and contact Abby Kinney ([log in to unmask]) if you have any questions.

Sunday

Canoeing! Come join us for a lovely morning canoe trip. We’ll leave campus at 9 am and return by 12 or 12:30. Suitable for beginners and experienced canoeists; we’ll probably take a leisurely trip and possibly swim! Bring swim clothes, shoes you’re comfortable getting wet, a water bottle, and a hat. Contact Charlotte (cgj1) with questions and sign up on this form to reserve a spot!

The Williams Outing Club (est. 1915)

Find us online at woc.williams.edu and @WOCstagram!

Equipment Room: Paresky, Level M

WOC Office: 2nd Floor Paresky

To remove yourself from this list send an email to listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there to remove yourself from: [log in to unmask]. Note you must enter your full email address to unsubscribe: [log in to unmask].

--

Scott Lewis
Director

Wk Ph# (413) 597 - 2317
Mobile  # (413) 884 - 5222
FAX     # (413) 597 - 4742

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" or go to http://listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your [log in to unmask] style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.