WOC-ly OUTING CLUB CALENDAR 04/15- 04/21

Hello WOC family!  Come check out some of the awesome outdoors events we have going on this week.   All events are open to WOC members. For more information on how to join WOC, ask your trip leader or head on down to the equipment room.

Announcements:

Wilderness First Aid course - WOC will be offering a 2 day WFA course which can be used to renew your WFR certification if needed.  Sunday, April 21 and Sunday April 28 from 9AM - 3:30PM. Cost is $60 for WFA or $75 if renewing a current WFR - please contact [log in to unmask] to reserve a spot and if you have any questions,  spots still available, respond by Wednesday, 4/17.

Dr. Dorceta Taylor, Environmental Justice & Social Scholar at the University of Michigan visit to the Williams campus April 16 & 17 - see info posters attached for details to this email!!

WOC Equipment Room:   The Equipment Room is open M-Th 12:30 -1:30 and 12 -2 on Friday.  We have tons of gear to borrow! WOC memberships may be purchased as may Mt. Day or Bamboo T-shirts. Email [log in to unmask]

PBC bikes for loan at WOC Equipment Room:  There are bikes for 24 hour or weekend loan through the Equipment Room. Bring  your WOC membership card.

Climbing:

The Nate Lowe climbing wall will be open!!! 8-10 Monday, Tuesday,   & Thursday.  The wall is closed Wednesday 4/17 for preview/Purple Key Fair.  Thursday nights from 8-9 are reserved for people who don’t identify as cis-gender male.  All climbers are welcome from 9-10.

WOC activities:

Wednesday:

Run! Join Gavin on Wednesday for a beautiful morning run. We will tailor pace and distance to whoever shows up, and all are welcome. Email [log in to unmask] with questions, and come to Frosh Quad at 9:30 AM if you’d like to join the fun!

Slacklining! Come take a study break and enjoy the beautiful weather by slacklining! We will be outside Morgan from 4-5 pm. All experience levels welcome. Email Alex at [log in to unmask] with questions.

Friday:

Weekly Sunrise Hike to the summit of Pine Cobble (sunrise at 6:05am) Meet on Paresky steps at 6:00 AM.  Dress for the weather, trail will be possibly wet!  Bring a headlamp,  filled water bottle and a cup for hot drinks.  Return to campus by 8:30AM.   Contact Scott, [log in to unmask] if you have questions??

Post Dinner Stroll Meet on Paresky steps at 6:00 PM. If the sunrise is a bit too early for you, come and enjoy a nice evening stroll up to Stone Hill. (Note: normally this walk is held at a later time to catch the beautiful purple valley sunset, but this week it is being held earlier at 6 so that folks who want to head to Seder after have time!) We will return to campus by 7:15 PM. Contact Alex at [log in to unmask] if you have any questions.

BLACKLIGHT CLIMBING NIGHT!!!!

This Friday from 7:30-10 pm we will be hosting a blacklight climbing night in the Towne Field House. Come join us for a surreal climbing experience, free food, and good music! Email Alex at [log in to unmask] with questions.

Saturday:

Outdoor Climbing Trip! We will be climbing outside at Rose Ledges this Saturday. Whether it’s your first time climbing outside or you’re a seasoned climber, Rose has lots of stellar routes for you. Leaving campus at 9 am and returning by 4 pm (in plenty of time to shower and eat before catching the MountainFilm Festival!). Email Alex at [log in to unmask] to reserve a spot or with any questions. Must be belay certified at the Nate Lowe Climbing Wall to participate.

MountainFilm Festival

Williams will be one of the stops for this year’s MountainFilm Festival, a film festival hosted annually in Telluride, Colorado. MountainFilm will be presenting seven films about climbing, environmental, cultural, political, and social justice issues. Doors will open at 6 pm, and the event is free and open to all students! The film showing will begin at 7pm on April 20th in Brooks Rogers Auditorium; we hope to see you there!  CONTACT Kerry Swartz [log in to unmask] for specific info about the films!

Sunday:

Walk through Hopkins Forest! Feeling like you might want to spend some time with nature this Easter? Join us for a stroll through Hopkins Forest to enjoy the warm weather and the beautiful outdoors! We will be meeting on the Paresky steps at 10 am. Contact Ellie at [log in to unmask] if you have any questions or concerns!

Polar Bear Plunge! Has academic life at Williams completely drained you? Are your eyes vacant and soulless? Try to recapture the feeling of being alive by jumping into a river! This is a perfect bucket list item and a great way to keep awake while finishing that problem set. Meet on Paresky Steps at 8pm on Sunday night. Be sure to bring a towel, warm layers, and something to swim in! Contact Aidan at [log in to unmask] with any questions.

--

Scott Lewis
Director

Wk Ph# (413) 597 - 2317
Mobile  # (413) 884 - 5222
FAX     # (413) 597 - 4742

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" or go to http://listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your [log in to unmask] style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.