A Carnival poem by Eileen Russell '19

’Twas the night before carnival and all through the Outing Club

Not a creature was stirring, not even a bear cub.

The skis were hung by the snowshoes with care

In hopes that fresh powder soon would be there.

WOC Board were nestled all snug in their beds

While visions of coral-reefs danced in their heads.

And Abbey in her snorkel and I in my bucket hat,

Had finally gotten the schedule down pat,

When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,

I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter.

Away to the window I flew like a flash,

Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.

The moon hung low on Paresky lawn

And Sawyer stood empty with students all gone,

When what to my wondering eyes did appear,

But Dave on a snurfer, without any fear!

Close behind came Scott Lewis, gliding on skis,

Deftly avoiding the snow-covered trees.

More rapid than eagles to the Board they came,

They whistled, and shouted, and called them by name:

“Now, Duncan, now Danny, now Mack and Jonathan!

On, Kerry, on Ellie, on Alex and Aidan!

To the top of the hill! To the depths of the sea!

To Prospect, to Prospect, for the Great Barrier Eph!

Put on your florals and grab your lei,

The time has come for the very best day!”

Abbey and I, when we heard such a speech,

Wished at once for snow and the beach

So we reached for our snow pants, our gloves and our boots

As well as our sunglasses, shorts, and swim suits.

We gathered around us our mighty force,

A team of outdoorsmen and women of course,

To wax all the skis and heat up the pool

And give all the students an excuse to skip school.

We tested the sleds to make sure they were sliding

And brought out the skis which were perfect for gliding.

Then the tubes were inflated and tested for leaks

And the snow depth measured on the mountain peaks.

We toiled through the night with all of our muster:

No one would say this carnival was lackluster.

And as the sun rose, campus could hear us say:

“It’s Winter Carnival! GET OUT AND PLAY!”

--

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" or go to http://listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your [log in to unmask] style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.