Hello WOC family!  Come check out some of the awesome outdoors events we have going on this week.   All events are open to WOC members. For more information on how to join WOC, ask your trip leader or head on down to the equipment room.

Announcements:

Reading period Canoe/hike Trip to the Adirondacks:  Join WOC for a two-night - 3 day canoeing trip plus hike up Mt. Ampersand in the beautiful Saranac Lake region of the Adirondacks.  Leaving 7:30AM Sunday, Oct. 7 returning 8PM Tuesday, Oct. 9. This will be a relaxing adventure being surrounded by the colors of Fall!   We will have a mandatory gear shakedown this sunday, 9/30 at 5pm; Trip cost ~$15 for food and financial aid is available. Email Alex (afs4) to reserve a spot - space is limited!

Reading Period climbing trip to the Gunks  This day long trip on 10/13 will take us to the Peters Kill area of the Shawangunks, one of the premier East Coast climbing destinations.  Prior climbing and belaying experience is required. We will leave Williamstown at 7 am and return by 9 pm. There is a $10 daily fee for which financial aid is available and we will be stopping for dinner.  Contact Duncan at dhm2 with questions or to sign up.

Mountain Day Hike Leaders Wanted: Already psyched for Mountain Day? We are too, and we’re looking for excited folks to lead the hikes up Stone Hill, Stoney Ledge and over Mt. Greylock. You should have a current wilderness first aid cert, and need to attend a brief 45  minute hike leader meeting on Sunday, 09/30 at 8:00PM, rm 220 Paresky. Leaders must be available for each of the first three Fridays of October 5, 12, 19.  You’ll get a free Mountain Day leader tee shirt in return!  Email Alex (afs4) if you would like to volunteer!

Overland Summers Presentation | Monday, October 1st 7:00-8:00pm in the Overland Office (10 Walden St - above the new book shop)

This summer join the dynamic, accomplished and charismatic group of Overland leaders who help kids see the world and all of its beauty and promise.  Overland hires exceptional college students and recent graduates to lead summer programs across the country and around the world. Our staff of over 200 leaders and support staff spend ten days training and six weeks leading or supporting programs throughout the summer. Small groups, carefully crafted programs and inspiring leadership have been at the heart of what we do for the past 33 years. Come learn about hiking, biking, service, writing, language and field studies programs with Overland. Leaders describe Overland as the most challenging and satisfying leadership and work experience they have ever had.

Apply online at www.overlandsummers.com/lead-us

First application deadline - Monday, November 12

To set up a 1 on 1 informal chat with Overland, email [log in to unmask]

WOC Equipment Room:  The Equipment Room will be open M - Th 12:30 - 1:30 and F 12 - 2. WOC memberships may be purchased as may the ever popular Bamboo T-shirt. Email [log in to unmask]

WOC activities:

Thursday:

Polar bear swim at the green river! This is a great introductory swim to the world of river plunging as the river is still relatively warm from the summer! Come one come all and bring a towel! Meet Paresky steps 9pm! Any questions contact [log in to unmask]

Friday:

Sunrise Hike (sunrise at 6:47 am) Meet on Paresky steps at 6:00 AM.  Dress for the weather,  Bring a water bottle, headlamp/flashight and a cup for hot drinks.  Return to campus by 8:30AM. Contact Scott, [log in to unmask] if you have questions!

Saturday:

Climbing! We will be headed outside to the cliffs of Rose Ledge, in Erving, MA. Return for some great climbs or join us for the first time to experience a great crag! This trip is open to everyone, with two spots reserved for beginners. If there is interest, this trip will also cover some basic anchor-building techniques. We will leave the Equipment Room at 8am and return to campus by 4 pm. Contact Alex at ads4 with any questions or to reserve a spot.

Sunday:

Canoeing the Housatonic River Lenox, MA  Leaving campus at 10AM and returning by 3:30pm.  A great fall paddle on a beautiful gentle flowing river - come see the Fall colors along the ancient river banks!  Sign up with Scott at slewis@williams.edu to reserve a spot by thursday 8pm, 9/27.

Yoga on Stone Hill Join us at the Clark for a morning of hatha yoga and pranayama! We will be leaving from the Paresky entrance on Park st. at 10AM. Contact Crystal at cm27 if you are interested and would like to borrow a mat.

--

Scott Lewis
Director

Wk Ph# (413) 597 - 2317
Mobile  # (413) 884 - 5222
FAX     # (413) 597 - 4742

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" or go to http://listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your [log in to unmask] style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.