WOC-ly OUTING CLUB CALENDAR 09/24 - 09/30

Hello WOC family!  Come check out some of the awesome outdoors events we have going on this week.   All events are open to WOC members. For more information on how to join WOC, ask your trip leader or head on down to the equipment room.

Announcements:

Reading period Canoe/hike Trip to the Adirondacks: Join WOC for a two-night - 3 day canoeing trip plus hike up Mt. Ampersand in the beautiful Saranac Lake region of the Adirondacks.  Leaving 7:30AM Sunday, Oct. 7 returning 8PM Tuesday, Oct. 9. This will be a relaxing adventure being surrounded by the colors of Fall!   We will have a mandatory gear shakedown this sunday, 9/30 at 5pm; Trip cost ~$15 for food and financial aid is available. Email Alex (afs4) to reserve a spot - space is limited!

Mountain Day Hike Leaders Wanted: Already psyched for Mountain Day? We are too, and we’re looking for excited folks to lead the hikes up Stone Hill, Stoney Ledge and over Mt. Greylock. You should have a current wilderness first aid cert, and need to attend a brief 45  minute hike leader meeting on Sunday, 09/30 at 8:00PM, rm 220 Paresky. Leaders must be available for each of the first three Fridays of October 5, 12, 19.  You’ll get a free Mountain Day leader tee shirt in return!  Email Alex (afs4) if you would like to volunteer!

WOC Equipment Room:  The Equipment Room will be open M - Th 12:30 - 1:30 and F 12 - 2. WOC memberships may be purchased as may the ever popular Bamboo T-shirt. Email [log in to unmask]

WOC activities:

Wednesday:

Want to hear an cross country ski olympic gold medalist talk about her life and experiences? If so, Jessie Diggins and Sophie Caldwell will be speaking this Wednesday at Prospect at 7pm.

If you'd like to come email [log in to unmask]! Spots are limited. We’ll be leaving at 6pm sharp from Paresky!!

Relaxed Run For Beginners on Blair! Join us for a light run/jog from campus to Blair Road (loop about 6 miles) this afternoon at 3. All levels welcome, we can take it easy and have a semi-hilly hump day! Contact [log in to unmask] for more details and to sign up!

Slacklining! Come learn how to slackline or practice your skills! There will be slacklines up outside of Morgan starting at 4 on Wednesday. All levels of experience welcome! Come and enjoy what should be a beautiful day. Contact Alex (ads4) with any questions.

Thursday:

Polar bear swim at the green river! This is a great introductory swim to the world of river plunging as the river is still relatively warm from the summer! Come one come all and bring a towel! Meet Paresky steps 9pm! Any questions contact [log in to unmask]

Friday:

Sunrise Hike (sunrise at 6:47 am) Meet on Paresky steps at 6:00 AM.  Dress for the weather,  Bring a water bottle, headlamp/flashight and a cup for hot drinks.  Return to campus by 8:30AM. Contact Scott, [log in to unmask] if you have questions!

Saturday:

Whitewater Kayaking on the Deerfield Hopefully we’ll have the chance to run down most of the Fife Brook section on the Deerfield culminating in the exciting Zoar Gap. This is a great trip for those with some experience in whitewater who are looking to up their skills on this great learning river! We’ll be leaving campus at 11 and returning a little after 4. You must have some experience in whitewater in order to sign up. If you would like to signup or have any questions about the requirement, contact Alex at [log in to unmask]

Climbing! We will be headed outside to the cliffs of Rose Ledge, in Erving, MA. Return for some great climbs or join us for the first time to experience a great crag! This trip is open to everyone, with two spots reserved for beginners. If there is interest, this trip will also cover some basic anchor-building techniques. We will leave the Equipment Room at 8am and return to campus by 4 pm. Contact Alex at ads4 with any questions or to reserve a spot.

Sunday:

Canoeing the Housatonic River Lenox, MA  Leaving campus at 10AM and returning by 3:30pm.  A great fall paddle on a beautiful gentle flowing river - come see the Fall colors along the ancient river banks!  Sign up with Scott at slewis@williams.edu to reserve a spot by thursday, 9/27.

Yoga on Stone Hill Join us at the Clark for a morning of hatha yoga and pranayama! We will be leaving from the Paresky entrance on Park st. at 10AM. Contact Crystal at cm27 if you are interested and would like to borrow a mat.

--

Scott Lewis
Director

Wk Ph# (413) 597 - 2317
Mobile  # (413) 884 - 5222
FAX     # (413) 597 - 4742

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" or go to http://listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your [log in to unmask] style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.