OUTING-NEWS-L Archives

outing-news-l

OUTING-NEWS-L@LISTSERV.WILLIAMS.EDU

From:
Scott Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2022 11:51:07 -0500
WOC-ly OUTING CLUB CALENDAR

January 17 - January 23, 2022

Hello WOC family! Come check out some of the awesome outdoor events we have
going on this week. All events are open to the Williams College community.

Announcements

Join the Spontaneous Outings GroupMe!

Have you ever felt like the day was so nice that you just had to be
outside? Do you want to know if any random or spontaneous adventures are
happening in the moment? Or do you want to get the most up to date info
about WOC and trips? Join the Spontaneous Outings GroupMe chat here!
<https://groupme.com/join_group/69168079/zIG1XRQf>

The WOC Equipment Room will be open by APPOINTMENT ONLY.  Hours are 11 am -
2 pm (M-F). The Equipment Room is open to all WOC members.  Please go to
this appointment schedule
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EA7lLOHug473LZTq5uOIYbXEuQYCes6GPle-Wfbn3uU/edit?usp=sharing>
and sign up for a slot.  Use the tabs to find the correct week.

The WOC Equipment Room has ski/snowboard racks and  lockers for use by any
interested WOC members.  Sign up for an appointment using the link above
and get your skis/boards and equipment a safe central location in the
basement of Paresky

We want your feedback on trips! Have you recently gone on a trip and want
to give us feedback on COVID-19 precautions and how things went? Fill out
our feedback form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfSBE2ljff5uGRN524ySPKlHg1y8o0n7dEP1b2xtUs1SwyzKQ/viewform?usp=sf_link>
after your trip so we know how we’re doing!

 Activities

Click here for extra information (mileage, elevation gain, etc) about trips!
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O-2w9LpiW2ICscMcsi7WFAC-3DVTkAwP41wcyJ9Qcfo/edit?usp=sharing>

Monday:

Climbing Wall open!  There will be open climbing from 8 - 10 pm at the Nate
Lowe Climbing Wall in the Towne Field House.  No experience necessary.  All
equipment provided.  This is for WOC members only and memberships are
available at the wall.  Please enter through the doors on the south (Weston
Field) side and leave your shoes on the plastic tarp at the door.

Tuesday:

Climbing Wall open!  There will be open climbing from 9 - 11 pm at the Nate
Lowe Climbing Wall in the Towne Field House.  No experience necessary.  All
equipment provided.  This is for WOC members only and memberships are
available at the wall.  Please enter through the doors on the south (Weston
Field) side and leave your shoes on the plastic tarp at the door.

Wednesday:

Non cis-male climbing from 8 - 9 pm!  From 9 - 10 all WOC members are
welcome and memberships are available at the wall.  No experience
necessary.  All equipment provided.   Please enter through the doors on the
south (Weston Field) side and leave your shoes on the plastic tarp at the
door.

Thursday:

Climbing Wall open!  There will be open climbing from 9 - 11 pm at the Nate
Lowe Climbing Wall in the Towne Field House.  No experience necessary.  All
equipment provided.  This is for WOC members only and memberships are
available at the wall.  Please enter through the doors on the south (Weston
Field) side and leave your shoes on the plastic tarp at the door.

Friday:

Weekly sunrise hike of the  NEW YEAR!!  It’s a real one!!!!  This“wake up”
and down Pine Cobble - it’s a REAL sunrise at 7:16 AM. Meet on Paresky
steps at 6:00 AM!!  This is a 3 mile hike round trip, one thousand foot
elevation gain to get your blood flowing and endorphins coursing through
your veins!!.   Dress for the weather -  winter hat/gloves needed for
warmth at the summit, good footwear for a trail that will be SNOWY, muddy,
wet and always rocky!  Bring a filled water bottle, headlamp - most
definitely or flashlight and a cup for hot drinks.  Return to campus by
8:30AM.  Please sign up on this form
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FDlXpFj62Q--5J3svBL_2s5vbpl_cR0eVLLnZybAbSo/edit?usp=sharing>
or email [log in to unmask] with any questions?

Saturday:

Taconic Crest Hike! Please be prepared for cold, wet, and icy conditions on
this beautiful ~6 hike. We will probably be wearing microspikes or
snow-shoes. An extra pair of socks, hiking boots, a water bottle, a hat,
and a snack are required to attend (all minus the snack may be borrowed
from the WOC Equipment Room). We’ll leave at around 9AM from the Paresky
steps and return to campus before 1.  Please email cgj1 with questions or
gear requests; and sign up here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FDlXpFj62Q--5J3svBL_2s5vbpl_cR0eVLLnZybAbSo/edit#gid=1870738958>
!

Cross country skiing at Prospect Mountain, Vermont - van shuttle!!  This is
for EXPERIENCED cross country skiers only- NO LESSON given - IF conditions
warrant - and prospect is OPEN.. we’ll run one van, leaving campus at
9:00AM and returning by 1pm.  If you need to borrow cross country ski gear
- Please make an appointment on Friday, Jan. 14 to get gear.. space is
limited in the van. Please sign up on this form
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FDlXpFj62Q--5J3svBL_2s5vbpl_cR0eVLLnZybAbSo/edit?usp=sharing>
or email Cooper Stuntz, [log in to unmask] with any questions?

Beginner climbing! Want to learn to rock climb? Come by the wall between
12:15-2:15pm on Saturday afternoon to learn from our instructor-monitors
and hang out with friends! We encourage people who have never climbed
before to join. Email Isabel ([log in to unmask])  with any questions!
Please enter through the doors on the south (Weston Field) side and leave
your shoes on the plastic tarp at the door.

Sunday:

Relive Mt day in a winter landscape - Hike to Stony ledge via the Haley
farm and down the Hopper trail.   Leaving at 9:30AM.  This is a 6 mile
saunter with about a 1500 foot elevation gain to get your blood flowing and
endorphins coursing through your veins!!.   Dress for the weather -  winter
hat/gloves needed for warmth at the lookout good footwear for a trail that
will be SNOWY and icy!   Return to campus by 1pm Please sign up on this form
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FDlXpFj62Q--5J3svBL_2s5vbpl_cR0eVLLnZybAbSo/edit?usp=sharing>
and provide your shoe size so I can reserve microspikes/snowshoes.  Email
[log in to unmask] with any questions?

The Williams Outing Club (est. 1915)

------------------------------

Find us online at woc.williams.edu and @WOCstagram
<https://www.instagram.com/wocstagram/>!

Equipment Room: Paresky, Level M

WOC Office: 2nd Floor Paresky

--

Scott Lewis
Director

Wk Ph# (413) 597 - 2317
Mobile  # (413) 884 - 5222
FAX     # (413) 597 - 4742

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" or go to http://listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your [log in to unmask] style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.