OUTING-NEWS-L Archives

outing-news-l

OUTING-NEWS-L@LISTSERV.WILLIAMS.EDU

From:
"Ackerson, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ackerson, David
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 2023 09:50:13 -0500
WOC-end UPDATE

Feb. 9 - Feb. 12 2023

Hello WOC family! Come check out some of the awesome outdoor events we have
going on this week. All events are open to the Williams College community.

Announcements

There is a new Spontaneous Outings Groupme! Please join!

Have you ever felt like the day was so nice that you just had to be
outside? Do you want to know if any random or spontaneous adventures are
happening in the moment? Or do you want to get the most up to date info
about WOC and trips? The previous Spontaneous Outings Groupme has been
discontinued and we have a shiny brand new one that we want everyone to
join!! Join the NEW Spontaneous Outings GroupMe chat here!
<https://groupme.com/join_group/92077585/fWKyAvA1>

JOIN WOC BOARD!!

Excited about getting the campus community outside? Interested in leading
trips, running community programming, and planning events like Mountain Day
and Winter Carnival? Are you a first-year, sophomore or junior? Did you
really like playing with dirt as a child? Then WOC Board might be the place
for you! Please feel more than welcome to apply — no prior experience in
the outdoors is necessary! Applications are due by February 15th at 11:59 pm
and include a short peer recommendation. We will be scheduling (short)
interviews with all applicants between February 19-25th. Apply here
<https://forms.gle/UompDoq1uXdNAau7A>!

Winter Carnival is Heating Up Feb 16-18!

A 3-day extravaganza! On Thursday, campus will explode in light from
fireworks, and Williamstown will transform into a magical winter
wonderland. On Friday & Saturday, the Williams alpine and nordic ski teams
are hosting teams from far and wide to race, so be sure to cheer them on or
stop by for food, skiing, snowball fights, & more. Other events include
skating, a trike race, and a themed dinner. This year's theme is 100
DegreEPHs, so get ready for summer in winter!

Animal Tracking Adventure in Hopkins Forest! Saturday, February 11th,
9:00-1:00

Join Dan Yacobellis Naturalist Extraordinaire on an outing to find and
learn about animal tracks and behavior in Hopkins Forest.  Even during the
coldest period of the year, the woods are alive with animals such as
cottontails, voles, raccoons, weasels, foxes, bobcats, and coyotes -- which
are out and about looking for food and shelter to get them through the
season. The program will begin with a short indoor introduction before
heading outside to find and follow tracks.  Given the cold conditions, and
that tracking is a slow moving activity, participants should come prepared
with warm clothing, including a good coat, layers, hat and gloves and warm,
sturdy footwear.   A shuttle will leave from Paresky at 9:00am and return
at 1:00pm.  Space is limited, so anyone wishing to attend the program is
asked to Register Here <https://forms.gle/DPDmVg79vVBKb9Tv9>

Overland Info Session  Love the outdoors? Overland
<https://overlandsummers-dot-yamm-track.appspot.com/2qKWODo0FOc2U87NcqoHyo8vZhcm0S4nE7mcEba7uvfRPoQf3gwFXdPnSOWJiZ50soePFbf8Zj9bLWE9ThIyC8pMxAQtX36cy2gP45o9MPhQeK4d6j_dX_EuUSynKnkTwSF32R1qQ6b1l8bJ3EzkAT2rOmI15oSO4iDNAe0KsgZTerc39uJLhzSr7SS8Z1Z8htvETy2P4zDeUTEesWLEYW4xlSAPcHg41oFu7aP7y8-GktNkFV3g8_dFjB_DLPqapD9Ew_BN0Xu140-XEdUVjZlvpaaW21Fbn-EmtJltakA2tKNkHk0TWZE8McSe2fenJrf4QknIhaO77Pk29YpGmMSmsq58-gZ9FtDj-raUJeIInC4bBn1lasRJqVL-2Jke4zL04PuCv6xc1X8cT6jR6Py9P_JArvAEZb0Z0SO_AvXly6EUMvilPOvEqHSYzZAwsTtGZNTwN0ep0QtOI2UaM1dHClFZoSgUxOJ2u5ZXG_NYdGlWRp3bz15bpKMKSujd82eE2-qYE3_t-w3pLOsL3v1drVb_90EVlcuebDrYhnETMJWF11Ex2W6gJakQhP27c1z1mqq_lA2JEoxx5ryntZPvbKW1ABm2WoxihXeAVKi8H5QLwkq1-JtlxRzSOz_SK2xStd98nHRXSib3gWXC4pl4shDwrrn25n0afVbMJSymUD3XLtr6n__Z_fDfDC-hBW856HcSpU6JCGURN3NGvJbitr4CNP3xoxh0v-x4q_GM6Fd7w-u7saCtbXkUCAN7ioNlRzEwNsn9P4hl89xnY5AW2cyAXc9m3Ydnubg9H8yhrJE1Zhwgjbnfgrf49vPVGnmMJV8KyoYHKmp1VevPVbcpclYEbT5U_qGHeFCrOjmlHh8PWt8jUw7cN1sJK-0zYIzZHxAdYUSMfb-oUpJyMU7ccqaEONSLH93YsjgI9QFyg9DCInFC3HbtBH4pLComu526NTDU_B1kfPEBm7jd6o1ZknlW4iibAtr1mhez9SrhzTB4fmwyGIiTOU1gkRPcsPE2U5Oc7HA0Mz6kr6S4fu0Sfjc8_wPzByW30nqc4t9hA6KbDd6pI2D08JbVcDx3310d6_s-kO4IPADEv1Ox52_kjoZVRW1W_L1nH99kX2MnUAa59l1DBTMZAzOM4RhdfJYY0myWWn0GCjBhoUtndzHPNIh8Dh0JsHf-c7C8aMorYY9l8lGUcvvqaHMEru0rAx7J8Z0WY6usOg-6aPnal5vGKkKZ0RU6upfEjEj6Ad_GyS2wb6wi4wiVNAxlopz5zM9fqIouYZc8B_eXdC9RJd-ahJ_9TMWucpQl2fmJYQAl2tTLO_-FQWBdavmnsMvrJXHIeAP7k6QHyE1N1syFSPlUvUdexM9onwD2Rd1aYZ5QFwLJqHmGeT45taDMELvbn20EN8UgpElvv5PkfAAC2aOqkk_11ziZ5_a4y1yGFCKJXz3bpLj8G3gh9JOj0MJOUpcH9E3KDBB_b1WCoheOZ8ez5wSUnDe1DVQ_c3VjfoHxPpE1ndBVLoSO6RSdQxFGpTjCw8CfB0ZH-rrkrhpP3wExqfGER1XDNVMBFVNwicp3pDXWyYxCOEJBeFW3FBXkxwTfkhM8OaYEBV4NQ-4N6pa95wPiMTCYv4lAa13LH8TNclN1v5_xivGJPArWMUKgj9rGyiV8kVifSGVOJik0wkGe0MuxwUBWwiptqMjDgFS-8DwS29UWDNMsFKZYzp25qaHmT38i3Q_6dZrXLFl75GXexMyZL7TNQGn-ZkI6Eg-Brbry3mhQ4QPh4nD2cpsMMZ-uq_33-YlpCLG39HOQthahOV_CdxXIavGXInOkKDlw8kBUNqD1NycGO1LDXEbJOP9PNCYNoo8WNJGfZiHrcOxVYKKK5yU-idke5IaeqSg>
hires college students and recent graduates to lead eight weeks of hiking,
language, and service trips across the country and around the world.

Overland will be hosting an info session at 7pm in the Overland office at
10 Walden Street (3rd floor of the bookstore!). We'll explain the goals of
the experience, the nuances of the trips we offer, and answer any questions
you have. We can't wait to see you!

If you have any questions, or can't meet us during those times and would
like to, please reach out to [log in to unmask]

The WOC Equipment Room will be open M- Th 12:30 -1:30 & F 12 -2.

We want your feedback on trips! Have you recently gone on a trip and want
to give us feedback on how things went? Fill out our feedback form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1wdj6xIiZWEmztVxsQn9l2Dz_fCPJRg8isSEy1eoccI0/edit>
after your trip so we know how we’re doing!

Activities

Click here for extra information (mileage, elevation gain, etc) about trips!
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O-2w9LpiW2ICscMcsi7WFAC-3DVTkAwP41wcyJ9Qcfo/edit?usp=sharing>

Thursday:

Climbing Wall open!  Non cis-male climbing from 8- 9pm!  From 9-10 there
will be open climbing at the Nate Lowe Climbing Wall. No experience
necessary.  All equipment provided.

Saturday:

Kite Hill Hike *Winter Carnival Warm Up Edition*

Take a leisurely hike from Stone Hill to the Kite Hill Trail. Sign up here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gucPLYEiUA31VmCRteABDI4jTDcCXuSrUD4H6qowkDw/edit>.
And get warmed up with some delicious 100 degreEPHs hot chocolate! Meet in
front of Paresky at 1pm. Return to campus by around 3pm. It may be cold
and/or wet, so if you need any winter apparel  you can head to the
equipment room Th 12:30 -1:30 or Friday 12 -2. If you have any questions,
email Abby Kinney ([log in to unmask]).

Sunset at the Hairpin Turn 2.0! [image: 🌅] - Did you miss last week’s
sunset trip? Well, here is the perfect opportunity for redemption! Come on
a short 15-ish minute drive in the WOC van to see a beautiful Berkshires
sunset at the Hairpin Turn in North Adams! Sunset is at 5:19 pm, so let’s
meet on Paresky steps to walk to the van at 4:20 pm. Also, it will be
fairly cold! Please bring layers, gloves, a hat, etc, all available between
12 and 2 on Friday at the Equipment Room.  Feel free to bring snacks, tea,
and water. We will be back to campus before 6:10 pm. There is limited
seating in the van, so please sign up on this form
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gucPLYEiUA31VmCRteABDI4jTDcCXuSrUD4H6qowkDw/edit?usp=sharing>!
Email Michael ([log in to unmask]) with any questions.

Sunday:

Cross Country Ski trip to Prospect Mountain*

Sign up here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gucPLYEiUA31VmCRteABDI4jTDcCXuSrUD4H6qowkDw/edit?usp=sharing>
for the opportunity to cross country ski at Prospect Mountain this Sunday.
We will meet on Park St. at 9:30 am and will return between 12:30 and 1:00
pm. Make sure you bring proper clothing and if you need cross country skis
then check them out from the equipment room on Friday between 12:00 and
2pm. Additionally we will not be teaching people to ski, and will only be
providing van service, please bring $10 for the Prospect Mountain fee.

Monday:

Late Morning Stone Hill Walk  Need a relaxed way to start your week? Hoping
to spot some cows? Come enjoy the not too frigid weather on Monday morning
with a ~2 mile walk on well paved road to well maintained gravel and dirt
trails! We’ll leave from Paresky steps at 11am for a refreshing walk to
Stone Hill. Email Isabel ([log in to unmask]) with any questions, and
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gucPLYEiUA31VmCRteABDI4jTDcCXuSrUD4H6qowkDw/edit?usp=sharing>sign
up here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gucPLYEiUA31VmCRteABDI4jTDcCXuSrUD4H6qowkDw/edit#gid=803548681>
to join.

The Williams Outing Club (est. 1915)

------------------------------

Find us online at woc.williams.edu and @WOCstagram
<https://www.instagram.com/wocstagram/>!

Equipment Room: Paresky, Level M

WOC Office: 2nd Floor Paresky

------------------------------

To remove yourself from this list send an email to
[log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff
outing-news-l" OR go to listserv.williams.edu
<https://listserv.williams.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=OUTING-NEWS-L> and follow the
instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your unix (
[log in to unmask]) style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for
this address as well.

--
David Ackerson
Asst. Director

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" or go to https://listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your [log in to unmask] style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.