OUTING-NEWS-L Archives

outing-news-l

OUTING-NEWS-L@LISTSERV.WILLIAMS.EDU

From:
"W. David Ackerson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
W. David Ackerson
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:43:40 -0400
Hello all,

I wanted to forward this information from a colleague at Cornell.

Dave

From: Benjamin Blakeley <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Vitamin I reconsidered
To: "OUTDOORED-L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wednesday, September 9, 2009, 2:15 PM

A Medical Minute:

As a follow-up to a piece of discussion in the FAST Med Kit Seminar, (and for those of you that weren't in attendance,) more evidence that one should not be popping I-candy as a preventative.

Ibuprofen [trade name Advil]

Good for:  Acute pain management, acute swelling reduction.

However, taking it before or during exercise as a preventative is not good as:

1)  by blocking pain you are more likely to injure/ further injure yourself.

and the new evidence:

2)  it's actually counterproductive .  It slows growth and strengthening of muscle, bone, and tendon in response to exercise.  You will be more sore the following day if you popped Vitamin I before your workout and it'll be that much harder to get to where you can pull 5.12, Tele backwards, or paddle class IV.

Here's the link for the complete NY Times article:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/01/phys-ed-does-ibuprofen-help-or-hurt-during-exercise/

So get out there and exercise your drug free bod.

Yer Wild Med dude,

Ben

--
Benjamin R. Blakeley

Outfitting and Logistics Manager

Cornell Outdoor Education
B01 Bartels Hall
Ithaca NY 14853

607-254-8264
607-255-9881 (fax)

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" or go to http://listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your [log in to unmask] style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.