OUTING-NEWS-L Archives

outing-news-l

OUTING-NEWS-L@LISTSERV.WILLIAMS.EDU

From:
Scott Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Nov 2020 18:54:30 -0500
WOC-ly OUTING CLUB CALENDAR

November 16 - November 22

Hello WOC family!  Come check out some of the awesome outdoor events we
have going on this week. All events are open to the Williams College
community.

Announcements

THE NATE LOWE CLIMBING WALL IS OPEN A 2ND WEEK!!

Beginning Monday 11/16 the climbing wall will be open again from 6 - 8 pm M
- W.  Monday night will include roped climbing while Tuesday and Wednesday
will be limited to bouldering only.  Sessions will start at 6 pm and you
should show up at that time.  Following the MA Governor's guidelines the
sessions will be limited to 8 climbers. To sign up for an evening session
use this form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeq4CR5PucU-hUHnN8GuDWL1c6dZHz77WAYjTrFjGnyNSHxPw/viewform?usp=sf_link>.
Limit one session only.  There will be a waiting list and we hope to
accommodate everyone who would like to climb while filling all 8 slots
every night.  Huge thanks to the members of the Athletic Dept, Operations
Committee and Senior Staff who made this possible.

WARM CLOTHING DRIVE

The Williams Outing Club will be collecting gently used coats and warm
clothing for any Williams students in need of warm winter clothing. Any
donations will be available to students and community members through a
free, long-term borrowing program. Students will be able to borrow items
for as long as they need, with the hopes they either return the clothing in
the spring or pass it along to others when they’re through.

We will be collecting from students, faculty, and staff and accepting
donations throughout the winter- we highly encourage any students heading
home for break to bring any unneeded warm clothing back to school in
February. The donation drop-off will be in the locked boxes of Paresky 1st
floor near the Park Street entrance- any and all donations are greatly
appreciated!!

*Deer Hunting Season in our area has beGUN (rifle/shotgun)*
VT: Nov. 14 - Nov. 29
NY: Nov. 21- Dec. 13
MA: Nov. 30 - Dec. 12 (no hunting on sundays in MA)
**If going into the woods - Be aware and A-wear bright colors!!*

Weekly Anti-Racism in the Outdoors Resource

In recognition of Native American Heritage Month, the resource for this
week is a non-profit organization, Native Women’s Wilderness
<https://www.nativewomenswilderness.org/>, which works “to inspire and
raise the voices of Native Women in the Outdoor Realm. To encourage a
healthy lifestyle grounded in the Wilderness. To educate Natives and
non-Natives on the rich beauty and heritage of the Ancestral Lands beneath
our feet.”

Learn more about the founder and work of Native Women’s Wilderness in this
article: “Tracing the Native American Roots of Natural Icons in the U.S.”
<https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/2018/07/native-american-roots-names-national-parks-outdoor-icons-jaylyn-gough/#close>

Please reach out to [log in to unmask] with any comments/questions/thoughts
or resources that you’d like to see shared in future weeks!

The WOC Equipment Room will be open Monday – Friday from 12 pm -2 pm by
appointment only.  Open to all members of the Williams community.  WOC
memberships are not required at the present time due to restricted amounts
of equipment available.  As restrictions are eased on what equipment may be
borrowed, this policy may change.  You need to email
 prior to 6 pm on the day before you would like to borrow the gear in order
to reserve equipment, an equipment room manager will respond with details
and an appointment time.   Loan period will be 1 week.  Please see attached
PDF of equipment available for loan.

We want your feedback on trips! Have you recently gone on a trip and want
to give us feedback on COVID-19 precautions and how things went? Fill out
our feedback form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfSBE2ljff5uGRN524ySPKlHg1y8o0n7dEP1b2xtUs1SwyzKQ/viewform?usp=sf_link>
after your trip so we know how we’re doing! We want to make our trips are
safe, fun, and inclusive.

Activities

ALL WOC TRIPS ARE BY RESERVATION ONLY. YOU MUST SIGN UP FOR THE TRIP IN
ORDER TO GO.
Wednesday

Short and easy walk along the river amongst sculpture and sound art.  This
walk will explore a North Adams park across the river from Tourists and
Stop and Shop.  There are several pieces of sculpture and a couple
interactive sound machines as well as 2 pedestrian bridges across the
river. This flat and mostly level walk will leave at 4 pm in order to catch
the sunset and be back to campus by 5:15.  Sign up here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RkmjRQHtwhs6NSLkY2_ZOw1Gsyca9Q7llzMr2LjCMy8/edit?usp=sharing>
or email dave at [log in to unmask] with questions
Thursday

See the Hopkins Sugarbush - We’ll leave at 3:15 PM from outside Paresky to
walk up to the Hopkins Forest maple grove. It is a very peaceful place at
this time of year with many old trees. This will be a gentle trip with
ample time for reflection, and we will return shortly before sunset. Email
Gavin, [log in to unmask] with any questions, or to sign up. You can also
sign up on this form
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RkmjRQHtwhs6NSLkY2_ZOw1Gsyca9Q7llzMr2LjCMy8/edit#gid=1705137603>.
(Capacity is 8).

Friday

LAST Weekly sunrise hike of the semester “wake up” and down Pine Cobble -
witness the  sunrise at 6:42AM. Meet on Paresky steps at 5:45 AM!!  Dress
for the weather -  bring extra layers) footwear for a trail that can be
wet, muddy and always rocky! Headlamps are highly recommended (I’ll have
extras if needed!) bring a filled water bottle and a cup for hot drinks.
Return to campus by 8:45AM.   Please Contact Scott, [log in to unmask] to
reserve a spot! (capacity is 7)

WOC(k) Skipping at the Hoosic: Come take a break to go rock skipping by the
Hoosic! Don’t know how to skip rocks? Come to learn how! Consider yourself
an expert rock skipper capable of making the Olympics? Come show off your
skills! Leaving from the Dennett side of Mission at 1:30pm. Please email
Danny ([log in to unmask]) to reserve a spot! (capacity is 10)

The Williams Outing Club (est. 1915)

------------------------------

Find us online at woc.williams.edu and @WOCstagram
<https://www.instagram.com/wocstagram/>!

Equipment Room: Paresky, Level M

WOC Office: 2nd Floor Paresky

--

Scott Lewis
Director

Wk Ph# (413) 597 - 2317
Mobile  # (413) 884 - 5222
FAX     # (413) 597 - 4742

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" or go to http://listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your [log in to unmask] style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.