OUTING-NEWS-L Archives

outing-news-l

OUTING-NEWS-L@LISTSERV.WILLIAMS.EDU

From:
Scott Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2021 19:40:00 -0400
WOC-ly OUTING CLUB CALENDAR

October 4 - October 12, 2021

Hello WOC family!  Come check out some of the awesome outdoor events we
have going on this week.  All events are open to the Williams College
community.

Announcements

JOIN THE SPONTANEOUS OUTINGS CHAT

Have you ever felt like the day was so nice that you just had to be
outside? Do you want to know if any random or spontaneous adventures are
happening in the moment? Or do you want to get the most up to date info
about WOC and trips? Join the Spontaneous Outings GroupMe chat here! (the
link now works!!) <https://groupme.com/join_group/69168079/zIG1XRQf>

JEDI weekly lunch! Join us to talk about anti-racism and responding to
accessibility issues in the outdoors on Tuesdays 12-1! We’ll meet on Chapin
steps (or in Paresky depending on weather). Eat lunch with us or just stop
by to say hi! Feel free to reach out to Isabel (isa2), Nick (nrh3), or Li
(lyp1) with any questions or suggestions.

The WOC Equipment Room will be open by appointment only.  Hours are
12:30-1:30pm (M-Th) and 12-2pm (Fri). The Equipment Room is open to all WOC
members.  Please go to this appointment schedule
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12X7v16rJhZqi7v9iKEN48qDoLTt9gZaIk4poqv-S4Cc/edit?usp=sharing>
and sign up for a slot.  Use the tabs to find the correct week.

IM training in October!  If you would like to be an Instructor Monitor at
the Nate Lowe Climbing Wall please come to the 2 part training on 10/7 &
10/14 from 7 - 9 pm.  You must be belay certified and attend both
sessions.  Use this form <https://forms.gle/fbQ9W66B4dPLzdG56>to apply.

We want your feedback on trips! Have you recently gone on a trip and want
to give us feedback on COVID-19 precautions and how things went? Fill out
our feedback form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfSBE2ljff5uGRN524ySPKlHg1y8o0n7dEP1b2xtUs1SwyzKQ/viewform?usp=sf_link>
after your trip so we know how we’re doing!
Activities

Click here for extra information (mileage, elevation gain, etc) about trips!
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O-2w9LpiW2ICscMcsi7WFAC-3DVTkAwP41wcyJ9Qcfo/edit?usp=sharing>

Monday

Climbing Wall open!  There will be open climbing from 7 - 9pm at the Nate
Lowe Climbing Wall in the Towne Field House. No experience necessary. All
equipment provided. This is for WOC members only and memberships are
available at the wall. Please enter through the doors on the south (Weston
Field) side and leave your shoes on the plastic tarp at the door.

Tuesday

 Climbing Wall open!  There will be open climbing from 7 - 9 pm at the Nate
Lowe Climbing Wall in the Towne Field House.  No experience necessary.  All
equipment provided.  This is for WOC members only and memberships are
available at the wall.  Please enter through the doors on the south (Weston
Field) side and leave your shoes on the plastic tarp at the door.

Star Tipping! Do you love stargazing and also spinning around until you
fall over? Come join Joanie and Malcolm for star tipping on Poker Flats at
8:30pm until no later than 9 or 9:15pm. We’ll be checking out the beautiful
night skies and letting out our late-night stress by goofing off outside.
If interested, sign up here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1FDlXpFj62Q--5J3svBL_2s5vbpl_cR0eVLLnZybAbSo/edit>
and email [log in to unmask] with any questions. We’ll meet at Paresky steps
at 8:30pm and bring a flashlight if you have one.

Wednesday

Climbing Wall open!  There will be open climbing from 7 - 9 pm at the Nate
Lowe Climbing Wall in the Towne Field House.  No experience necessary.  All
equipment provided.  The hour from 7 - 8 is only for non-cis male WOC
members.  From 8 - 9 all WOC  members are welcome and memberships are
available at the wall.  Please enter through the doors on the south (Weston
Field) side and leave your shoes on the plastic tarp at the door.

Thursday

Climbing Wall open!  There will be open climbing from 7 - 9 pm at the Nate
Lowe Climbing Wall in the Towne Field House.  No experience necessary.  All
equipment provided.  Please enter through the doors on the south (Weston
Field) side and leave your shoes on the plastic tarp at the door.

Tie-dye!

Bring a white or light colored shirt (or other clothing item) and bring
some color into your life! No experience necessary. Meet between Sage and
Paresky at 3:15pm. Signup on this form
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FDlXpFj62Q--5J3svBL_2s5vbpl_cR0eVLLnZybAbSo/edit?usp=sharing>
and email [log in to unmask] with any questions.

Friday

Weekly sunrise hike  “wake up” and down Pine Cobble - Should be a TRUE
sunrise hike witnessing the rise at 6:58 AM. Meet on Paresky steps at 6:00
AM!!  3 mile hike round trip, one thousand foot elevation gain to get your
blood flowing and endorphins coursing through your veins!!.   Dress for the
weather, good footwear for a trail that will be muddy, wet and always
rocky!  Bring a headlamp/flashlight, filled water bottle and a cup for hot
drinks.  Return to campus by 8:40AM.  Please sign up on this form
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FDlXpFj62Q--5J3svBL_2s5vbpl_cR0eVLLnZybAbSo/edit?usp=sharing>
or email [log in to unmask]  with any questions?

Saturday

Hopkins Forest Lower Loop Hike- Kick off your long weekend with some fresh
air, fall foliage, and good vibes! We will be doing a ~4.1 mile round trip
hike to Hopkins forest with about 540 feet of gradual elevation gain, and
checking out the lower loop leaving from Paresky steps at 10 AM and
returning to campus around 12:30 PM. We will be walking from campus on
paved roads to well maintained trails. Bring a water bottle and wear shoes
you like to hike in. Sign up here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FDlXpFj62Q--5J3svBL_2s5vbpl_cR0eVLLnZybAbSo/edit#gid=956341475>!
Need equipment/gear or have any questions? Email Georgia at

Sunday

RRR Brooks to Bee Hill! - Do you like acronyms? Perhaps you have a thing
for pollinators? If either of these sound like you, or you just like pretty
hikes, this is the trip for you! Be prepared for a ~7 mile round trip hike
that will most likely be a bit rainy (that’s code for needing to bring
layers!!). There’s an elevation gain of roughly 1000 feet, two river
crossings, and a high possibility of a messy trail, so be sure to wear good
shoes! Meet at Paresky Steps at 10:30am. Signup on this form
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FDlXpFj62Q--5J3svBL_2s5vbpl_cR0eVLLnZybAbSo/edit?usp=sharing>
and email Justyn (jmf10) with any questions!

Ricotta Making! We’re going to (attempt to) make ricotta cheese, the best
food of all time! Bring some sort of container (like a tupperware or bowl)
to take cheese home in if you want and meet at the WCMA eye statues outside
of Goodrich at noon on Sunday 10/10. Sign up here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FDlXpFj62Q--5J3svBL_2s5vbpl_cR0eVLLnZybAbSo/edit?usp=sharing>
because spots are limited! Email [log in to unmask] if you have any
questions.

Tuesday

Hike to Scenic Overlook! Join us on a trip to a beautiful six mile hike in
Savoy Mt. State Forest. The hike contains slow elevation gain and peaks at
a beautiful rock outcropping with a 180 degree view. We will leave campus
at 1 pm and return before 6. Please sign up on this form
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FDlXpFj62Q--5J3svBL_2s5vbpl_cR0eVLLnZybAbSo/edit?usp=sharing>
or email Charlotte (cgj1) with questions!

The Williams Outing Club (est. 1915)

------------------------------

Find us online at woc.williams.edu and @WOCstagram
<https://www.instagram.com/wocstagram/>!

Equipment Room: Paresky, Level M

WOC Office: 2nd Floor Paresky

--

Scott Lewis
Director

Wk Ph# (413) 597 - 2317
Mobile  # (413) 884 - 5222
FAX     # (413) 597 - 4742

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" or go to http://listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your [log in to unmask] style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.