OUTING-NEWS-L Archives

outing-news-l

OUTING-NEWS-L@LISTSERV.WILLIAMS.EDU

From:
Jackson Ennis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jackson Ennis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2020 18:53:10 -0500
*T’was the night before carnival and all through the Outing Club*

*Not a creature was stirring, not even a bear cub.*

*The skis were all hung by the snowshoes with care*

*In hopes that fresh powder soon would be there.*

*The Ephs were nestled all snug in their beds*

*While visions of Belle danced in their heads.*

*And Jackson with his rose and Aidan with his light,*

*Had finally gotten the schedule just right.*

*When out on Cole Field there arose such a clatter,*

*I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter.*

*Away to the window I flew like a flash,*

*Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.*

*The moon shone abreast of the new-fallen snow,*

*And Sawyer stood empty, to bed all students did go.*

*When what to my wondering eyes did appear,*

*But Dave on a snurfboard, without any fear!*

*Close behind came Scott Lewis, gliding on skis,*

*Deftly avoiding the snow-covered trees.*

*More rapid than eagles the WOC Board then came,*

*Scott whistled, and shouted, and called them by name:*

*“Now, Duncan, now Alex, now Charlotte and Danny!*

*On, Gavin, on Georgia, on Rachel and Ellie!*

*To the top of the hill! To the top of the (rock) wall!*

*From Goodrich to Currier, go have a ball!*

*Whether you love to ski and will never tire,*

*Or prefer to drink chocolate, curled by the fire,*

*You can go ride a pony or build snow sculptures in the sun,*

*Get out and do something on this day of fun.*

*Cheer on the racers or watch your friends sing,*

*The time has come for the purple valley to ring!”*

*We couldn’t help but smile; his words were inspired!*

*Now Beauty and the Ephs was all I desired!*

*So we reached for our snow pants, our skis and our gloves,*

*And headed for the trees; our only true loves.*

*We gathered around us our mighty force,*

*A team of outdoorsmen and women of course,*

*We tested the sleds to make sure they were sliding*

*And brought out the skis which were perfect for gliding.*

*We each dusted off our Jiminy Peak pass*

*To give all the students an excuse to skip class.*

*Then the tubes were inflated and tested for leaks*

*And the snow depth measured on the mountain peaks.*

*We toiled through the night with all of our muster:*

*No one would say this carnival was lackluster.*

*And as the sun rose, campus could hear us say:*

*“It’s Winter Carnival! GET OUT AND PLAY!”*

(sent on behalf of Annabelle)

It is with enormous pleasure that Jackson, Aidan and I present this year’s
Winter Carnival extravaganza!  We know that Williams is busy, but whether
you go outside for hours or just stop by Paresky for hot chocolate, try to
get out and do something fun during this historic event!  We would also
like to express a HUGE thank you to all of the clubs and people that made
Winter Carnival this year possible.  A special thank you to OSL and dining
services, who supported us more than I could have imagined.  Check this
link for the most up to date schedule and feel free to email me (Annabelle;
[log in to unmask]) with any questions!

*WOC-specific events:*

*WOC Winter Carnival Outings* - Join us at 1:00pm in the WOC equipment room
(downstairs Paresky) where there will be several WOC-led outings (hikes!)
going out:

·       *@1:00 PM* Introductory Trip, requiring no experience and be easy
walking, mostly flat with one-incline, and will return by 3:00pm.

·       *@1:15 PM* Intermediate Trip, which will be more strenuous, and
will return between 3:00 and 4:00pm.

We’ll tailor the location to the weather and interests of the group.  Dress
for the weather in non-cotton layers. The WOC equipment room has boots,
warm layers and other cold-weather gear available for loan; *WOC membership
is not required for any programming during Winter Carnival. *Reach out to
Jackson at [log in to unmask] with any questions or concerns.

*Blacklight Climbing Night!* Join us at the Nate Lowe Climbing Wall this
Friday from 9-11 for a lit climbing experience. Featuring brand new routes
with glow in the dark holds, this promises to be a night to remember. Open
to all experience levels! There will be trained Instructor Monitors there
to belay and keep everyone safe! Contact Alex at ads4 with questions.

--
Jackson Ennis
(he/him)

To remove yourself from this list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body "signoff outing-news-l" or go to http://listserv.williams.edu and follow the instructions there. Note that if you are subscribed with your [log in to unmask] style e-mail address, you may need to get a password for this address as well.